ThunderBolts Lose Doubleheader in Washington
WASHINGTON, PA - After a walk-off loss in game one, the ThunderBolts were swept in a doubleheader at Washington as the host Wild Things shut the Bolts out 5-0 in the second game.
Kyle Pollock put the Wild Things (44-33) ahead early in game one as he hit a two-run homer in the second inning.
The ThunderBolts (32-46) responded immediately when Terrance Robertson reached on an error, Omar Obregon singled and both scored on a Tim Zier double.
Both starting pitchers settled in and the score remained 2-2 all the way into the sixth, when Washington loaded the bases with one out. Ramsey Romano hit a flyball to right field that was just deep enough to score Hector Roa on a sacrifice fly.
The Bolts again responded as Tyler Straub and Derek Bangert singled and Robertson doubled to tie the score. The Bolts had runners at second and third with one out but couldn't score the go-ahead run.
They paid for it as Washington loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the inning. Devin Raftery recorded two outs but Carter McEachern brought home the winning run on a single to make it a 4-3 final.
Zach Strecker (5-3) blew the save but picked up the win and Zac Westcott (6-8) went six-plus innings and took the loss.
Game two was less eventful as the Wild Things put it away with four runs on five hits in the third inning. Brett Marr, Reydel Medina and Hector Roa had RBI singles.
The Bolts put a runner on base in every inning after the first but were unable to break through as Jake Belinda (1-0) threw five shutout innings and picked up the win in his first start of the year.
Patrick Ledet (5-7) took the loss despite pitching only one bad inning. He went four overall.
After singling in game one, Omar Obregon went 0-for-3 in game two, ending his hit streak at 27 games and his on-base streak at 42.
The ThunderBolts look to avoid the sweep on Sunday evening at 4:35. Game three of the series will feature Jake Welch (5-4, 3.77) starting for the Bolts against Washington's Chase Cunningham (6-4, 4.70). The radio broadcast can be heard on WXAV 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 11, 2018
- Early Hole Too Much for Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Snap Losing Streak with Win over CornBelters - River City Rascals
- Hensley and Chavarria Toss Combined No-Hitter to Help Otters Split Doubleheader with Freedom - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Blanked by Joliet in Near No-Hitter - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Win Both Ends of Doubleheader - Washington Wild Things
- ThunderBolts Lose Doubleheader in Washington - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers Halt Home Skid - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Drop Pitchers Duel to Crushers - Traverse City Beach Bums
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.