Bonner Earns Eastern Conference Player of the Week
Uncasville, CT - On Tuesday, Sept. 8, the WNBA announced that DeWanna Bonner was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week for games played during the week of Aug. 31 to Sept. 6. Bonner has now received the honor two times this season, first being on Monday, Aug. 17.
The Connecticut Sun went 2-1 during last week's action after defeating the New York Liberty (70-65) and the Indiana Fever (96-77) but falling to the Las Vegas Aces (93-78). Bonner averaged an impressive 25.0ppg, 7.3rpg and shot 94.1% from the freethrow line on 32-of-34 attempts. In total, the 6'4" forward finished the three-game slate with 75 total points, 22 rebounds, four assists, two steals and one block. She led the team in points in all three games and has now led Connecticut in scoring in 10 of the team's 20 games this season.
Bonner has been named Player of the Week eight times over the course of her career. This is just the second Eastern Conference award; all others were Western Conference Player of the Week awards.
Connecticut (10-10) will face the Phoenix Mercury for the second time in three days, on Wednesday, Sept. 9 at 7pm on Facebook and WNBA League Pass. The Sun defeated the Mercury 85-70 on Monday and ended the opponent's six-game winning streak. Connecticut maintains the #7 position in the WNBA overall standings and clinched a spot in the playoffs with Monday night's victory.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 8, 2020
- New York Liberty Postgame Notes vs. Los Angeles Sparks - New York Liberty
- Wings Battle League Leading Storm Wednesday - Dallas Wings
- ESPN's Extensive WNBA Playoffs Presented by AT&T Coverage Tips Off Tuesday, Sept. 15 - WNBA
- Diggins-Smith Named Western Conference Player of the Week - Phoenix Mercury
- Bonner Earns Eastern Conference Player of the Week - Connecticut Sun
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Connecticut Sun Stories
- Connecticut Sun Partners with Nike for Game Growers Season Two
- DeWanna Bonner Named to 2020 All-WNBA Second Team
- Alyssa Thomas and DeWanna Bonner Named to Associated Press All-WNBA Second Team
- Bria Holmes Out for the Season
- Bonner Earns Eastern Conference Player of the Week