Bombers Add Veteran NFL Running Back Kevin Smith
WINNIPEG, MB., May 20, 2014 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has inked import running back Kevin Smith. Smith joins the Blue and Gold with five seasons of NFL experience under his belt.
Smith (6-1, 217, Central Florida, December 17, 1986 in Miami, Florida) was originally drafted by the Detroit Lions with the first pick of the third round in the 2008 NFL Draft. He spent five seasons with the Lions, accumulating 2,346 yards on the ground, and 17 touchdowns. He also caught 123 receptions for 1,082 yards and five touchdowns. Smith played in 54 games for the Lions, starting 31 games at running back.
He played three seasons at the University of Central Florida, and is the all-time leader in rushing yards for the Knights, with 905 carries for 4,864 yards, and 45 touchdowns.
The Bombers have also released import defensive end J.D. Griggs.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from May 20, 2014
- Riders Sign Linebacker Brandon Isaac - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Lions Ink Linebacker Duo - B.C. Lions
- Bombers Sign Defensive End Louis Nzegwu - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Riders Sign Defensive Back Marshay Green - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Riders Reach Season Ticket Sales Limit for 2014; Single Game Tickets Available May 31 - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Argonauts Host One Day Student Summit to Close 13th Season of Bullying Prevention Program - Toronto Argonauts
- Cory Huclack Announces Retirement - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Bombers Add Veteran NFL Running Back Kevin Smith - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.