Blast Defeat Wave 6-5; Clinch a Playoff Spot
The Blast clinched a spot in the playoffs by defeating Milwaukee 6-5. In front of a crowd of 3,476, Vini Dantas recorded two goals for the Blast and Tony Donatelli got the game-winning goal with 7 seconds left. Ian Bennett had two goals for the Wave.
Vini Dantas got on the board first for the Blast with a free-kick goal on the power play. Milwaukee answered two minutes later on a goal by Guilherme Vega to tie the game at 1. Goalkeeper Joey Kapinos made some big saves for the Blast to keep the game tied at 1 after one quarter. Milwaukee was able to break through with two straight goals in the second quarter. Daniel Chamale scored just 28 seconds into the quarter and Ricardinho Sobreira scored to give the Wave a 3-1 lead at halftime.
The Blast came out of the half strong, scoring four straight goals and playing tight defense. Goals from Jonatas Melo, Andrew Hoxie, Jereme Raley, and Vini Dantas gave the Blast a 5-3 lead. Ian Bennett would answer for Milwaukee with two straight goals of his own, tying the game at 5-5 with 22 seconds left. Tony Donatelli quickly answered with the winning goal with just 7 seconds remaining.
The win is the 9th straight win for the Blast. The Blast went 1-2 on the power play and were 1-1 on the penalty kill. Donatelli had one goal and one assist and Kapinos had 20 saves for Baltimore. Veiga had one goal and one assist and Max Ferdinand recorded two assists for Milwaukee. Goalkeeper Josh Lemos had 6 saves for the Wave.
The Blast are back in action with 2 games next weekend. They travel to Cedar Rapids on Friday, February 16th to take on the Rampage at 8:35 pm EST and then travel to Milwaukee on Saturday, February 17th to take on the Wave at 8:05 p.m. EST. Both games can be streamed at MASL.tv or on the MASL app.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 10, 2018
- Cedar Rapids Beats Ambush in Overtime - St. Louis Ambush
- Sandoval's Goal Gives Rampage Dramatic 8-7 OT Win - Cedar Rapids Rampage
- Division Champions Host Sonora in Possible Battle for Home Field Advantage - San Diego Sockers
- Wave Drops First of Three in Baltimore Series; Rematch Next Saturday Night - Milwaukee Wave
- Blast Defeat Wave 6-5; Clinch a Playoff Spot - Baltimore Blast
- Fourth Quarter Rally Comes Too Late for Ontario Fury - Ontario Fury
- Sockers Clinch Pacific Division Championship with 10-3 Victory over Tacoma - San Diego Sockers
- Kansas City Comets Streak Snapped - Kansas City Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Baltimore Blast Stories
- Blast End Home Schedule with 9-2 Win over Metrostars
- Blast Record Fifth Straight Victory with 7-1 Win over Orlando SeaWolves
- Baltimore Blast Announce Playoff Game
- Baltimore Blast Game Preview vs. Orlando & Mississauga
- Blast Clinch Playoff Spot with 8-2 Victory over Heat