Sockers Clinch Pacific Division Championship with 10-3 Victory over Tacoma
TACOMA (Friday - #MR #17-16) The 14-Time champion San Diego Sockers (13-3) clinched their second consecutive MASL Pacific Division title with a 10-3 win over the Tacoma Stars on Friday night. Kraig Chiles had a hat-trick, and Brandon Escoto, Brian Farber, and Erick Tovar paced San Diego with two goals each. Luan Oliveira also found the back of the net.
San Diego's win combined with Ontario's 10-8 loss to El Paso secured the top spot in the division. The Sockers will host game two of the home-and-home Divisional Championship Series on Saturday, May 10 at Valley View Casino Center.
San Diego sprinted out to a 5-0 second-period lead on two goals by Farber, and one from Tovar, Escoto, and Chiles. Tacoma's Taylor Walter Bond, who had two markers, scored their first goal with 1:19 left before the half. Chiles countered the Stars goal one minute later to give San Diego a 6-1 halftime lead.
San Diego kept the pressure on and added two quick tallies from Oliveira and Tovar to begin the third period to up their advantage to 8-1. Tacoma (8-10) notched a power-play goal with five minutes remaining in third and then promptly went to the sixth-attacker for almost a full quarter.
Goalkeeper Boris Pardo was solid in goal making six saves for his seventh game of the season.
Playoff tickets for the Divisional Championship Series will go on sale beginning February 25.
San Diego plays Sonora on Sunday, February 11, 5:05 p.m. at Valley View Casino Center. The match will feature the annual Alumni Halftime Game, and it is also Sockers Car Book Drive Night. Fans who donate five new or gently-used books before the game receives a free ticket voucher for the February 24th game.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from February 10, 2018
- Cedar Rapids Beats Ambush in Overtime - St. Louis Ambush
- Sandoval's Goal Gives Rampage Dramatic 8-7 OT Win - Cedar Rapids Rampage
- Division Champions Host Sonora in Possible Battle for Home Field Advantage - San Diego Sockers
- Wave Drops First of Three in Baltimore Series; Rematch Next Saturday Night - Milwaukee Wave
- Blast Defeat Wave 6-5; Clinch a Playoff Spot - Baltimore Blast
- Fourth Quarter Rally Comes Too Late for Ontario Fury - Ontario Fury
- Sockers Clinch Pacific Division Championship with 10-3 Victory over Tacoma - San Diego Sockers
- Kansas City Comets Streak Snapped - Kansas City Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Sockers Stories
- Sockers Hosting World Cup Viewing Party Series at Nason's Beer Hall at Pendry Hotel San Diego
- Veteran Defender Eddie Velez Extended with Multi-Year Contract
- Stalwart Defender Cesar Cerda Signed to Multi-Year Contract
- San Diego Adds More Firepower with Free Agent Forward Christian Segura
- Exciting Forward Taylor Bond Joins Sockers