Bisons Saddened to Learn of Passing of Former Manager, Doc Edwards
The Buffalo Bisons family is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of former Herd hitting coach and manager, Doc Edwards. He was 81.
Edwards managed the Bisons for two seasons, winning 126 games from 1993-1994, and guided the team to a 2nd-place finish in the American Association Eastern Division in his first season as the manager. He is one of only 10 managers in the team's modern era to have over 100 wins with the team.
Edward's tenure with the Herd actually began in 1992 when he was the team's hitting coach. Serving under manager March Bombard, Edwards worked with such players as Brian Dorsett, Al Martin, Carlos Garcia and Eddie Zambrano to help the Herd win the A.A. Eastern Division by four games.
Howard Rodney Edwards was born in Red Jacket, WV in 1936 and earned the nickname 'Doc' after serving as a medic in the Navy. As a catcher, he played 317 games in the Major Leagues from 1962-1970 and hit .238 with 15 home runs and 87 RBI for Cleveland, Kansas City, Philadelphia and the New York Yankees. Edwards managed the Cleveland Indians for parts of three seasons, 1987-1989, including a 78-win campaign in 1988 (total 173-207). At the minor league level, he served as the Red Wings manager during the 1981 season that included the 33-inning marathon game between Rochester and the Pawtucket Red Sox.
Most recently, Edwards spent six years as the manager of the San Angelo Colts of the independent United League Baseball from 2009-2014. He was named the 2009 ULB Manager of the Year.
Images from this story
Doc Edwards with the Buffalo Bisons
Former Buffalo Bisons manager Doc Edwards
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 20, 2018
- Former Wings Manager Doc Edwards Passes Away - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Saddened to Learn of Passing of Former Manager, Doc Edwards - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 21st-27th - Syracuse Mets
- Vargas Named International League Batter of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- Bryse Wilson Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Hockey Night, Final Bark in the Park Highlight Penultimate Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons GM Mike Buczkowski Named 2019 International League "Executive of the Year"
- 'Ballpark Brew Bash' Craft Beer Festival Returns to Sahlen Field September 21
- Ballpark Golf Returns with â??The Sahlen Field Links' September 18-20
- Bisons End Season on Winning Note, 5-3 over RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (12:05 p.m.)