Former Wings Manager Doc Edwards Passes Away
ROCHESTER, NY - Doc Edwards, who managed the Rochester Red Wings from 1979-81 and was at the helm during the longest game in professional baseball history, has passed away. He was 81.
Born Howard Rodney Edwards, "Doc" spent 57 years in baseball as either a player, coach, manager or scout. The Red Jacket, W.V. native made his major league debut with the Indians in 1962 and would also appear in games with the Kansas City Athletics, Yankees and Phillies. He also managed Cleveland to a 173-207 record during parts of three seasons from 1987-89. That 1989 club included current Red Wings manager Joel Skinner.
In Edwards' final year leading Rochester in 1981, the team played the longest game in professional baseball history at Pawtucket, a 33-inning affair that began on April 18 and was completed on June 23.
Edwards managed or coached for several organizations including the Phillies, Indians, Mets, Yankees, Cubs, Expos and Orioles. He also managed Buffalo from 1993-94 and served as the Bisons hitting coach in 1992.
He is survived by his wife, six children, 16 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 20, 2018
- Former Wings Manager Doc Edwards Passes Away - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Saddened to Learn of Passing of Former Manager, Doc Edwards - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 21st-27th - Syracuse Mets
- Vargas Named International League Batter of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- Bryse Wilson Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Hockey Night, Final Bark in the Park Highlight Penultimate Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Skinner, Cliburn, Valentin Not Renewed by Minnesota for 2020
- USA Baseball Names Two Red Wings to Premier12 Roster
- Twins Division Series Roster Features 18 Former Red Wings
- Red Wings Nominated Again for John Henry Moss Community Service Award
- Dinolfo, Silver Break Ground on the New Frontier: New Turf Coming to Frontier Field