Bryse Wilson Named International League Pitcher of the Week
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - Gwinnett Stripers right-hander Bryse Wilson has been named the International League Pitcher of the Week for August 13-19, the league office announced Monday.
Wilson, 20, went 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA (0 ER in 8.0 IP) and league-bests in WHIP (0.13) and opponent average (.042) in one start during the week, August 15 vs. Louisville. That night, he set Gwinnett's single-game strikeout record with a career-high 13 over 8.0 scoreless, one-hit frames to lead the Stripers to a 4-3 win over the Bats.
Wilson bested the previous Gwinnett record of 12 strikeouts, set by Charlie Morton in the fourth game in club history on April 12, 2009 at Charlotte.
The Atlanta Braves' fourth-round selection in 2016 out of Orange High School (Hillsborough, NC), Wilson is 3-0 with a 4.50 ERA (10 ER in 20.0 IP), .205 opponent average, two walks and 24 strikeouts in three starts on his Triple-A debut with the Stripers. Between Gwinnett and Double-A Mississippi, he has combined to go 8-5 with a 3.27 ERA (45 ER in 123.2 IP), .231 opponent average, 35 walks and 139 strikeouts in 23 starts.
It is the first career IL Pitcher of the Week award for Wilson. He is the fourth Stripers player to earn an IL weekly award this season, joining Dustin Peterson (IL Batter of the Week for April 23-29), Danny Santana (IL Batter of the Week for May 21-27) and Lucas Sims (IL Pitcher of the Week for July 2-8).
The Stripers are off Monday and start a five-game series at Durham on Tuesday with a doubleheader. First pitch of game one against the Bulls at Durham Bulls Athletic Park is 6:05 p.m. Dave Lezotte will have the play-by-play call on 97.7 FM and 93.5 FM The Other Side of the River beginning at 5:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 20, 2018
- Former Wings Manager Doc Edwards Passes Away - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Saddened to Learn of Passing of Former Manager, Doc Edwards - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 21st-27th - Syracuse Mets
- Vargas Named International League Batter of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- Bryse Wilson Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Hockey Night, Final Bark in the Park Highlight Penultimate Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Show Growth at Gates in 2019
- Stripers' Season Ends in 5-4 Game 4 Loss at Columbus
- Stripers Stay Alive with 10-6 Win in Columbus
- Four-Run Fourth Keys Columbus in 7-3 Win over Stripers
- Stripers Fall 5-4 to Columbus Despite Homers from Riley, Duvall