Vargas Named International League Batter of the Week
ROCHESTER, NY - Rochester Red Wings first baseman Kennys Vargas has been named the International League Batter of the Week, the league office announced Monday.
Vargas batted .379/.419/.828 with one double, four homers, 11 RBI and four runs scored in seven games. He led the league in home runs, RBI, slugging and total bases (24) while ranking second in OPS (1.247). The switch hitter homered in back-to-back games on August 15-16 and August 18-19. He has now hit 49 career home runs with the Red Wings, passing Trevor Plouffe for sole possession of second place during the Twins era (since 2003).
For the season, Vargas is batting .229/.313/.404 with 15 doubles, 19 homers, RBI and 35 runs scored in 114 games. He is tied for second in the league in home runs.
Vargas is the first Rochester player to earn a league Player of the Week honor since Stephen Gonsalves on May 7 this season and the first Batter of the Week since Mitch Garver on July 10, 2017.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 20, 2018
- Former Wings Manager Doc Edwards Passes Away - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Saddened to Learn of Passing of Former Manager, Doc Edwards - Buffalo Bisons
- Chiefs Homestand Highlights - August 21st-27th - Syracuse Mets
- Vargas Named International League Batter of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- Bryse Wilson Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Hockey Night, Final Bark in the Park Highlight Penultimate Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Skinner, Cliburn, Valentin Not Renewed by Minnesota for 2020
- USA Baseball Names Two Red Wings to Premier12 Roster
- Twins Division Series Roster Features 18 Former Red Wings
- Red Wings Nominated Again for John Henry Moss Community Service Award
- Dinolfo, Silver Break Ground on the New Frontier: New Turf Coming to Frontier Field