Biscuits' Seventh Inning Dooms Shrimp, 3-1
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Biscuits (16-24), powered by a three-run seventh inning, defeated the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (16-23), 3-1, on Wednesday afternoon at Riverwalk Stadium. The victory closed out a 10-game homestand, in which Montgomery went 4-6.
Biscuits' starting pitcher Kyle Bird made his first professional start on Grand Slam School Day. The left-hander battled control issues in the opening frame, hitting two Jumbo Shrimp and walking another. Bird beamed Jacksonville RBI-leader Eric Jagielo with the bases loaded, supplying the Jumbo Shrimp with a 1-0 lead.
Despite the rocky first inning, Bird settled down, retiring Jacksonville 1-2-3 in the second. Yoel Espinal relieved the Florida native and caged the Jumbo Shrimp. Espinal struck out three in two innings, keeping the deficit at one.
Travis Ott (1-1) continued Montgomery's masterful bullpen performance. The lanky southpaw pitched a pair of scoreless innings, keeping the Biscuits within striking distance.
Jacksonville starting pitcher Max Duval (1-5) had allowed just three hits entering the sixth. Montgomery would have five hits in the bottom of the sixth, alone.
Biscuits' centerfielder Thomas Milone began the charge with a single. Michael Russell advanced the lead runner with his third hit of the game, a single to right field, before Dalton Kelly drove home Milone via an RBI-double, tying the score at 1-1. RBI-singles by Jake Cronenworth and Brandon Lowe grabbed the Biscuits the lead and advanced the advantage to 3-1.
Montgomery relievers Matt Krook and Jordan Harrison preserved the lead and stranded a pair of base runners in the final two innings. Harrison squandered a John Norwood ninth-inning single, recording his first save of the season.
The Biscuits will begin a ten-game road trip in Birmingham on Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. Genesis Cabrera (4-3) will take the ball in game one for the Biscuits while Matt Tomshaw (0-1) is scheduled for the Barons.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- Bencomo's Strong Start Leads Lookouts to 6-2 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Lookouts Offense Rolls in 11-3 Victory - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Marlette and Mississippi Send Generals to Defeat - Jackson Generals
- Marlette, Reed Power M-Braves to Series Win over Generals - Mississippi Braves
- Wednesday's BayBears Game Canceled Due to Rain - Mobile BayBears
- Biscuits' Seventh Inning Dooms Shrimp, 3-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Homestand Highlights - May 17-27 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Take Series Finale over Jumbo Shrimp, 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Blue Wahoos Squeak Past Shuckers in Rubber Match - Biloxi Shuckers
- Forces Unite at Regions Field this Weekend - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Lose Series Finale in Chattanooga - Tennessee Smokies
- Jake Owen Concert this Friday - Chattanooga Lookouts
- M-Braves Cut Down Generals with Early Runs - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.