Biscuits' Seventh Inning Dooms Shrimp, 3-1
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Biscuits (16-24), powered by a three-run seventh inning, defeated the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (16-23), 3-1, on Wednesday afternoon at Riverwalk Stadium. The victory closed out a 10-game homestand, in which Montgomery went 4-6.
Biscuits' starting pitcher Kyle Bird made his first professional start on Grand Slam School Day. The left-hander battled control issues in the opening frame, hitting two Jumbo Shrimp and walking another. Bird beamed Jacksonville RBI-leader Eric Jagielo with the bases loaded, supplying the Jumbo Shrimp with a 1-0 lead.
Despite the rocky first inning, Bird settled down, retiring Jacksonville 1-2-3 in the second. Yoel Espinal relieved the Florida native and caged the Jumbo Shrimp. Espinal struck out three in two innings, keeping the deficit at one.
Travis Ott (1-1) continued Montgomery's masterful bullpen performance. The lanky southpaw pitched a pair of scoreless innings, keeping the Biscuits within striking distance.
Jacksonville starting pitcher Max Duval (1-5) had allowed just three hits entering the sixth. Montgomery would have five hits in the bottom of the sixth, alone.
Biscuits' centerfielder Thomas Milone began the charge with a single. Michael Russell advanced the lead runner with his third hit of the game, a single to right field, before Dalton Kelly drove home Milone via an RBI-double, tying the score at 1-1. RBI-singles by Jake Cronenworth and Brandon Lowe grabbed the Biscuits the lead and advanced the advantage to 3-1.
Montgomery relievers Matt Krook and Jordan Harrison preserved the lead and stranded a pair of base runners in the final two innings. Harrison squandered a John Norwood ninth-inning single, recording his first save of the season.
The Biscuits will begin a ten-game road trip in Birmingham on Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. Genesis Cabrera (4-3) will take the ball in game one for the Biscuits while Matt Tomshaw (0-1) is scheduled for the Barons.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- Bencomo's Strong Start Leads Lookouts to 6-2 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Lookouts Offense Rolls in 11-3 Victory - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Marlette and Mississippi Send Generals to Defeat - Jackson Generals
- Marlette, Reed Power M-Braves to Series Win over Generals - Mississippi Braves
- Wednesday's BayBears Game Canceled Due to Rain - Mobile BayBears
- Biscuits' Seventh Inning Dooms Shrimp, 3-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Homestand Highlights - May 17-27 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Take Series Finale over Jumbo Shrimp, 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Blue Wahoos Squeak Past Shuckers in Rubber Match - Biloxi Shuckers
- Forces Unite at Regions Field this Weekend - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Lose Series Finale in Chattanooga - Tennessee Smokies
- Jake Owen Concert this Friday - Chattanooga Lookouts
- M-Braves Cut Down Generals with Early Runs - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- Biscuits Unwrap More Promotions in the Year of Bacon
- Biscuits Bake up Fresh Promo Calendar in the "Year of Bacon" at Riverwalk Stadium
- Auburn University at Montgomery to Host the University of Montevallo at Riverwalk Stadium
- Biscuits 2019 Field Staff Announced
- Generals End Biscuits Season, 11-7