Smokies Lose Series Finale in Chattanooga
CHATTANOOGA, TN - The Smokies fell in their last game of the series 8-6 to the Lookouts in Chattanooga. The Smokies came back from an early deficit but the bullpen could not hold on to the lead.
Michael Rucker got the start for the Smokies and gave them a chance to win the last game of the series. Rucker pitched five innings allowing four runs on six hits and striking out two. Rucker left the game with a 5-4 lead.
The Smokies got on the board first in the top of the third inning. Jesses Hodges singled to lead off the inning. After two quick outs, Charcer Burks delivered as he belted a two-run home run over the left field fence. That put the Smokies up 2-0.
Down 4-2, the Smokies offense woke up in the top of the sixth. Burks led off the inning with a double and Jeffrey Baez, the next batter, doubled Burks home. Two batters later, Jason Vosler tied the game as he doubled in Baez. Eddy Martinez capped off the scoring as he doubled in Vosler to give the Smokies a 5-4 lead.
Rucker was replaced by Daury Torrez in the sixth inning and Torrez struggled in his outing. Torrez pitched two innings, allowing four runs on four hits and struck out three. Torrez took the loss in the game. Craig Brooks relived Torrez in the eighth and pitched a scoreless inning.
In the ninth, down 8-5, the Smokies tried to rally. With two outs, Baez singled for his second hit of the game. After stealing second, Baez scored when Zack Short drove him home to make it 8-6. That was all the Smokies could muster in the ninth though.
The Smokies will be back in action on Thursday afternoon as they open up a series at home against the Mississippi Braves at 11:30 a.m. Trevor Clifton is the projected starter for the Smokies as he looks for his fourth win of the season. Kyle Wright will take the mound for the Mississippi Braves.
The full schedule for this season and information regarding single-game tickets, season tickets, and mini plans can be found online at smokiesbaseball.com, or by calling the Smokies Ticket Office at 865-286-2300.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 16, 2018
- Bencomo's Strong Start Leads Lookouts to 6-2 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Lookouts Offense Rolls in 11-3 Victory - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Marlette and Mississippi Send Generals to Defeat - Jackson Generals
- Marlette, Reed Power M-Braves to Series Win over Generals - Mississippi Braves
- Wednesday's BayBears Game Canceled Due to Rain - Mobile BayBears
- Biscuits' Seventh Inning Dooms Shrimp, 3-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Homestand Highlights - May 17-27 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Take Series Finale over Jumbo Shrimp, 3-1 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Blue Wahoos Squeak Past Shuckers in Rubber Match - Biloxi Shuckers
- Forces Unite at Regions Field this Weekend - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Lose Series Finale in Chattanooga - Tennessee Smokies
- Jake Owen Concert this Friday - Chattanooga Lookouts
- M-Braves Cut Down Generals with Early Runs - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tennessee Smokies Stories
- PCX and Tennessee Smokies to Co-Host Smokies eSports Challenge
- Cubs and Smokies Renew Player Development Agreement Through 2022
- Great Smoky Mountain Auto Fest Returns to Smokies Stadium
- Smokies and U.S. Cellular to Host Little League Takeover
- Cubs Name Matt Swarmer Minor League Pitcher of the Year