Birds Rally Falls Short at Winnipeg
WINNIPEG, MB - The Sioux Falls Canaries' tough luck in one-run games continued on Friday. The Birds (37-60) rallied late against the host Winnipeg Goldeyes (55-42) but fell 5-4 in the opening game of their last series of 2019.
The Birds scored three runs in the eighth inning to cut what was a four-run deficit to one, but couldn't get over the hump. Mike Hart led the way for the Sioux Falls, going 3-for-3 with a solo home run and two RBIs.
The game was tight early on. Winnipeg jumped out in front with an RBI single from Kyle Martin, and Hart knocked an RBI double to tie the score in the second.
The score stayed that way through the seventh-inning stretch. Goldeyes starter Joel Bender threw six innings of one run ball
Birds starter Sam Bragg ran into trouble in the seventh. A Reggie Abercrombie double put men on second and third for Martin, who drove in two with another single. That chased Bragg from the game. Canaries manager Mike Meyer brought Joel Seddon in to pitch.
Goldeyes designated hitter Willy Garcia hit a two-run homer off Seddon to make it 5-1 Winnipeg.
The Birds scored three in the third, starting with Hart's home run. Brett Vertigan and Alay Lago each drove in runs with ground balls to cut the deficit to 5-4.
Goldeyes closer Victor Capellan struck out the side in the ninth to earn the save.
The Birds face off with Winnipeg in game two of their four-game series Saturday night at 6 p.m. Right-hander Kevin Hilton will start for Winnipeg; Tyler Herron will take the ball for Sioux Falls. Birds fans can tune in on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN and KWSN.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 30, 2019
- Long Ball Puts the T-Bones in a Three-Way Tie for First - Kansas City T-Bones
- Clinched: Saints Playoff Bound with 4-3 Victory over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Birds Rally Falls Short at Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Dogs Rally to Win Wild Home Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Dahlberg's Dime, Roache's Homer Deliver Series Sweep To Milkmen - Chicago Dogs
- Davis Homer Beats Sioux City to Force Three Way Tie - Sioux City Explorers
- Goldeyes Win Sixth Straight - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lincoln Rallies Past Cleburne - Cleburne Railroaders
- McGovern Receives Opportunity in Atlantic League - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Dogs Defeat Milkmen in Contested Game - Milwaukee Milkmen
- T-Bones Gut out a 3-2 Win to Sweep Texas - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Power Up, Set Franchise Record with Seven Home Runs and Cut Magic Number to One in 12-9 Comeback Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.