Biloxi Falls to Barons 7-3 in Small's Debut
BIRMINGHAM, AL - Three home runs by the Birmingham Barons (3-1) were too much to overcome for the Biloxi Shuckers (1-3) in a 7-3 defeat on Friday night at Regions Field.
Trailing 2-0 heading to the fourth, Biloxi was able to tie the game on a double by Alexander Palma and a two-run homer by Payton Henry, his first of the season, drawing the Shuckers level at 2-2. After allowing the home run, Barons' RHP Emilio Vargas (W, 1-0) retired 10 of the next 11 batters that he faced including seven in a row.
Coming out for a fourth inning of work, Shuckers' LHP Ethan Small (L, 0-1) surrendered three consecutive hits to the Barons, plating a pair for Birmingham and chasing Small from the game. All told the southpaw tossed 3.0+ innings in his Double-A debut, giving up four runs on seven hits while walking two and striking out six.
The Barons added to their lead on a solo home run by Zach Granite in the sixth and an RBI double from Romy Gonzalez two batters later, moving in front 7-2. The Shuckers were able to draw back within a run when Brice Turang scored on a wild pitch in the eighth inning but were unable to put another man in scoring position in the final two frames.
On the mound, RHP J.T. Hintzen made his Double-A debut, pitching 2.1 innings and allowing three runs on three hits and striking out two in his first outing in a Shuckers' uniform. Lucas Erceg also made his professional debut on the mound as the converted third baseman tossed a scoreless bottom of the eighth, walking two and striking out one.
Biloxi continues their six-game tilt with the Barons on Saturday night at 6:30 pm. RHP Luis Contreras (NR) will start for the Shuckers opposite Mississippi native LHP Konner Pilkington (NR) for the Barons. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, online here or on the MiLB app.
Biloxi opens up their 2021 home schedule on May 11 at 6:35 pm against the Mississippi Braves at MGM Park. Individual tickets are on sale now and promotions for May can be found here. Full Shuck Nation Memberships and Half Shell Shuck Nation Memberships, flex plans and group outings are available by calling 228-233-3465 and selecting Option 3.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A South League message board...
Double-A South League Stories from May 7, 2021
- Lookouts Fall to Rocket City in Extras - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Wahoos Edge Past M-Braves to Improve to 4-0 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Trash Pandas Win Again, Outlast Lookouts 12-10 - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- Biloxi Falls to Barons 7-3 in Small's Debut - Biloxi Shuckers
- WAAY 31 to Broadcast All 60 Trash Pandas Home Games in 2021 - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- Friday, May 7 vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos: 6:35 PM: Trustmark Park - Mississippi Braves
- Big Innings Doom M-Braves During Thursday Doubleheader - Mississippi Braves
- Walk this Way - Shuckers Draw 16 Walks in 14-6 Rout of Barons - Biloxi Shuckers
- Tennessee Smokies Tie up Series with a 6-4 Win over Montgomery - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Fall to Smokies, 6-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Wild Comeback Leads Trash Pandas to First WinÃÂ - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- Lookouts Spilt Double Header - Chattanooga Lookouts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.