Baysox Team Up To Battle Inhalant Abuse
BOWIE, Md. - The Bowie Baysox are partnering with the New Britain Rock Cats, Trenton Thunder and Alliance for Consumer Education (ACE) on the "Striking Out Inhalant Abuse" program. The program will bring students out to each team's ballpark for Inhalant Abuse Night. The Baysox will host Inhalant Abuse Night Wednesday, July 8, as the Baysox take on the Harrisburg Senators at 7:05 p.m.
The program looks to utilize the appeal of America's pastime and the popularity of minor league baseball teams in their local communities to educate parents, school officials and individuals in the community about this often overlooked form of abuse.
"The Baysox look forward to putting aside our competitive differences with the Thunder and the Rock Cats for this program," Baysox General Manager Brian Shallcross said. "Hopefully, by working together we can have a greater positive impact on the youth that mean so much to our communities."
Children nationwide abuse more than 1,400 inexpensive and readily available everyday household, office and school products. With the cooperation of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), the Baysox will send Louie and team representatives to visit dozens of local grade schools to discuss inhalant abuse.
The Alliance for Consumer Education is a Washington, D.C.-based charitable foundation dedicated to community health and well-being. Its flagship program is inhalant abuse prevention-the deliberate inhalation, "sniffing" or "huffing" of household products for the purpose of "getting high" - as it is a highly dangerous behavior that constitutes a "silent epidemic."
"This program was launched to address parental unawareness and start a dialogue amongst families in their households about inhalant abuse," said Colleen Creighton, executive director at ACE. "There is a real problem when more than one in five children in the U.S. will abuse inhalants by the eighth grade."
This program stemmed from a 2008 partnership with the New Britain Rock Cats that included the first ever Inhalant Abuse Awareness Game at a minor league ballpark. According to the University of Maryland Center for Substance Abuse Research in March of 2008, inhalants are the most popular type of drug among children 12 to 13, with more than 500,000 young teens experimenting with solvents.
The Baysox 17th season as the class AA affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles is underway! Check out www.baysox.com to see all that's going on at the stadium this year, and don't miss a moment of the action as the Baysox attempt to bring home their first Eastern League championship. Individual game tickets and ticket packages are available now at www.baysox.com or by calling the Baysox box office at (301) 464-4865.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 21, 2009
- Lincoln Stymies Baysox, Avoid Sweep - Bowie Baysox
- Lincoln shuts out Bowie - Altoona Curve
- Alliance For Consumer Education Will Take The Mound Against Inhalant Abuse - New Britain Rock Cats
- Baysox Team Up To Battle Inhalant Abuse - Bowie Baysox
- Alliance For Consumer Education Will Take The Mound Against Inhalant Abuse - Trenton Thunder
- Rock Cats' 4th Homestand of 2009 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Calderone slams pinch-hit, three-run HR in 10-3 loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Dogs Rally Back In A Big Way, Beat Cats 10-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Allow 15 Hits, Connecticut Takes Series with 7-3 Win - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Gomez Pitches Perfect Game in 3-0 Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- Gomez Pitches Perfect Game for Akron in Win Over Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Defenders Win 7-3 & Series 2-1 - Connecticut Defenders
- Law Enforcement Night Lined Up for Friday, May 22 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Aeros Media Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Malec Transferred To Trenton - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowie Baysox Stories
- Baysox to Participate in MiLB's Copa de la Diversion Initiative
- Baysox Set to Celebrate Pi Day with Discounted Tickets
- Baysox Unveil 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Baysox Partner with Michael's Desserts of Bowie to Offer Delicious Ticket Package & Help Area Homeless
- Free Family FunFest Set for Saturday, March 24