Bayne Returns to Winston-Salem
LYNCHBURG, VA - The Winston-Salem Dash announced three roster moves on Wednesday. RHP Cameron Bayne rejoins the Dash from AA Birmingham, and LHP Garrett Johnson has been called up from low-A Kannapolis. In a corresponding roster move, RHP Chris Bassitt has been sent to Kannapolis.
Bayne begins his third stint with Winston-Salem after making starts in AAA Charlotte and AA Birmingham. With the Dash, he was 7-4 with a 3.58 ERA in 13 starts with the Dash. He had seven quality starts including his last two, both wins. Bayne threw seven or more innings in each of his previous four starts. In the second half opener against Frederick, Bayne got the win after giving up one earned run on four hits in seven innings. He was promoted to Birmingham on June 27 and made three starts for the Barons. Bayne went 2-0 with a 3.50 ERA, and all three of his starts were quality.
The Honolulu native was ranked by Baseball America as the 29th-best prospect in the White Sox organization. He won his first two starts with Winston-Salem and took a no-hit bid into the seventh inning in his first outing on April 11 against Potomac. He made a spot start for AAA Charlotte on May 30 and got the loss against Buffalo. In four innings he gave up six runs (all earned) on 13 hits.
Johnson comes to Winston-Salem from Kannapolis where he made one appearance and gave up no runs in two innings. A 6'10" lefty, Johnson began the year in extended spring training while recovering from a hip injury. He also pitched in two games for Advanced Rookie Bristol and gave up one run in two innings. Johnson pitched for Dash in July and August of last season and went 2-0 with a 4.15 ERA in ten outings. He split time in 2010 between Kannapolis, Winston-Salem, and Charlotte, combining for a 6-5 record and 4.24 ERA. He was drafted by the White Sox in the 29th round in 2006 out of high school and becomes the tallest player on the Dash. He helped Orme High School (Mayer, AZ) to a state basketball championship in 2006.
Bassitt joined the Dash on July 8 from Rookie Bristol where he made his professional debut after getting drafted this year. With the Dash, Bassitt made one appearance on July 9 against Salem and gave up one run in 1.2 innings. The Curtice, Ohio native was selected in the 16th round of the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Akron. With the Zips this year, Bassitt led the team with seven saves and went 2-5 with a 1.42 ERA and opponents hit .183 against him. He was selected to the Second Team All-MAC.
The Dash roster has reached the Carolina League limit of 25 players.
The Winston-Salem Dash are the Class-A Advanced minor league affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. To purchase tickets and for more information, please call 336-714-2287 or visit www.wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 13, 2011
- Rocks Win Despite Four Defensive Miscues - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Padron's Three-Run Homer Helps Salem Avoid Shutout - Salem Red Sox
- Back in Myrtle Beach, Birds Roll 8-3 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 'Cats Can't Overcome Gac Blast - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Bumbry Shines But Keys Fall - Frederick Keys
- Gac Smacks Dash to 4-2 Victory - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Kinston Rained Out in Potomac - Kinston Indians
- P-Nats And Indians Rained Out On Wednesday - Potomac Nationals
- Salem Red Sox Game Notes & Transactions - Salem Red Sox
- Former Pelicans Shine In MLB All-Star Game - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Updated Pelicans Roster 07.13 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Lynchburg Hillcats Roster Change - 7/13 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Bayne Returns to Winston-Salem - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.