Barons Offense Sputters in Loss to Jumbo Shrimp
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Despite Mitch Roman's first home run of the season, the Birmingham Barons (4-7) dropped the series opener against the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (5-6) by a 5-1 final Monday night at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.
Roman delivered an opposite-field solo shot to help the Barons pull even in the third, but the Jumbo Shrimp responded with a run of their own in the bottom half of the inning and plated two more in the fourth to take a 4-1 lead.
Roman's blast marked the second of the season for the Barons as a team and his first at the Double-A level. The 24-year-old second baseman hit three home runs during the 2018 season (split between Class-A Advanced Winston-Salem and Double-A Birmingham).
Barons starter Kodi Medeiros (L, 0-1), whom Birmingham activated off the injured list Monday afternoon, surrendered four runs (three earned) in three innings of work. The left-hander walked five and struck out a pair in his first start of the season.
Paced by multi-hit efforts from Roman, Joel Booker, Gavin Sheets, Alfredo Gonzalez, the Barons put steady pressure on Jumbo Shrimp starter Dustin Beggs. Birmingham placed its leadoff hitter aboard in three of the first five innings.
However, Beggs (W, 1-0) maneuvered through a handful of jams to limit the damage to just the single run. The right-hander scattered six hits across six innings of work to earn his first win of the season.
Right-hander Luis Martinez and left-hander Hunter Schryver kept Birmingham within striking distance and combined to allow just one run in five innings, but the Barons could not take advantage of the plate and went scoreless over the final six frames.
The Barons will continue their five-game set against the Jumbo Shrimp at 11:05 a.m. Tuesday as right-hander Jimmy Lambert (0-1, 2.70) gets the nod against Jacksonville southpaw McKenzie Mills (0-1, 7.20).
Coverage of Tuesday's game will begin at 10:50 a.m. on WJQX-FM 100.5 with the Coca-Cola Pregame Show.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 15, 2019
- Wahoos Defeat Shuckers 4-3 Behind Brilliant Outing from Alcala - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Drop Opener at Tennessee, 6-2 - Jackson Generals
- Garrett, Beggs Propel Jacksonville to 5-1 Victory - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Four-Run First Carries Biscuits to 6-2 Win - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Win 6-2 to Start Home Stand - Tennessee Smokies
- Barons Offense Sputters in Loss to Jumbo Shrimp - Birmingham Barons
- Generals Gameday: April 15 at Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Smokies to Host Free Beer Night and Pre-Easter Celebration - Tennessee Smokies
- Pache, Walker Named Farm Bureau Players of the Week - Mississippi Braves
- Shuckers Homestand Highlights against Blue Wahoos - Biloxi Shuckers
- RHP Trevor Charpie Released; C David Rodriguez Activated from 7-Day IL - Montgomery Biscuits
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, April 15 vs. Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Southern League Names Weekly Award Winners for April 4-14 - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.