Bad Third Dooms Cougars
LANGLEY, BC- The third period was the Prince George Cougars nemesis again on Sunday. The Vancouver Giants scored three times in the final frame, en route to a 4-1 win over the Cougars at the Langley Events Centre.
Tied 1-1 going into the third period, the Giants got goals from Davis Koch, Justin Sourdif and Tristen Nielsen, as they won their fifth-straight. David Tendeck was named the game's first star, stopping 32-shots.
Ethan Browne opened the scoring in the first period, on the power-play, to give the Cougars a 1-0 lead through 20-minutes but they couldn't build upon it, as they their season-high losing streak now sits 13 games. Taylor Gauthier suffered the loss, stopping 25 of 29 shots.
Mitch Kohner didn't finish the game, as the rookie forward sustained an upper-body injury in the third period. Bowen Byram, who hit Kohner, was assessed a five-minute major Checking to the Head penalty and a game misconduct. Kohner will be evaluated back in Prince George.
The third period was the Cougars downfall for the second-straight game. Friday, they had a 3-2 lead evaporate in the final frame against Kelowna. Sunday, they surrendered three unanswered goals over the final 20-minutes. The Cougars finish with a 1-7-1-0 record against Vancouver.
Cole Moberg extended his point streak to six games in the loss. He's got six points (2-4-6) during the streak. Ryan Schoettler extended his point streak (0-3-3) to three games. Associate Coach Steve O'Rourke will miss the next two weeks, as he heads off the Canada Winter Games in Red Deer, Alberta. O'Rourke is the head coach of Team B.C. men's U-16 hockey team.
Cougars [1-0] Ethan Browne (8) from Ryan Schoettler and Cole Moberg 9:00 PP
Giants [1-1] Jared Dmytriw (12) from Jadon Joseph and Bowen Byram :42
Giants [2-1] Davis Koch (22) from Bowen Byram 7:06 PP
Giants [3-1] Justin Sourdif (15) from Davis Koch 11:35
Giants [4-1] Tristen Nielsen (10) unassisted 15:24
Cougars- Taylor Gauthier (Loss) 25/29 60:00
Giants- David Tendeck (Win) 31/32 60:00
UP NEXT: The Cougars (16-32-4-2) return home to face the Victoria Royals (27-22-1-2) in a weekend double-header starting Friday, February 15th. Friday is Alumni Night sponsored by Home Depot. Fans can get their tickets at the TicketsNorth by Treasure Cove Casino box office, or online at www.ticketsnorth.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Blades Plow Through Wheaties Sunday at SaskTel Centre - Saskatoon Blades
- Six Scorers Left Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Bad Third Dooms Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Leave Road with Loss - Regina Pats
- Giants Punch their Ticket to the Playoffs in a 4-1 Win over Prince George - Vancouver Giants
- Preview: Blades Welcome Wheaties - Saskatoon Blades
- Wheat Kings, Don Cherry to Help Promote Organ Donations - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game 54 at Portland - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, February 10 vs. Moose Jaw - Calgary Hitmen
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Medicine Hat - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap Four Game Alberta Road Trip in Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Christiansen Has Hat Trick, Wolf Another Shutout in 5-0 Playoff Clincher - Everett Silvertips
- ICE Fall 5-2 to Chiefs - Kootenay Ice
- Ams Unable to Overcome Early Flurry of Royals Goals, Fall 7-4 - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Stymied by Warriors Netminder Evanoff and a Severe Shortage of Puck Luck - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets Build Lead, Cruise to 4-1 Win - Kelowna Rockets
- No Dice in Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Storm Past Americans - Victoria Royals
- Tigers Outlasted by Thunderbirds 4-3 in OT - Medicine Hat Tigers
- T-Birds Tame Tigers In Overtime - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Complete Season Sweep of ICE with 5-2 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Down Hurricanes, Habscheid Records 500th WHL Win - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince George Cougars Stories
- Prince George Cougars Society Donates $18,000 to United Way of Northern B.C.
- Cougars' Gauthier Named to Team Canada Under-18 Roster
- Cougars' Toman Named to Czech Republic U-18 Roster
- Gauthier, Moberg Listed in NHL Central Scouting's Final Draft Rankings
- Cougars' Gauthier Named to Team Canada U-18 Training Camp Roster