No Dice in Everett
The Hawks fell short in the special teams department tonight and the Everett Silvertips went on to shutout the Hawks 5-0 at home. With their win and the Kamloops loss, the Silvertips officially punched their ticket to the postseason.
It was a phenomenal defensive first period where the goaltenders combined for 32 saves, but Everett scored four goals in the middle period, three of which came from special teams play.
Jake Christiansen capped the night off with his first career Western Hockey League hat trick and Dustin Wolf stopped 29 shots to earn his WHL-leading sixth shutout of the season, first against the Hawks.
A quick reminder for fans attending the home game on Sunday at the Moda Center; as of Saturday night, the game is still scheduled for a 5:00 p.m. puck drop against the Medicine Hat Tigers. The Hockey Challenge Day has been rescheduled to Sunday, February 17th against Seattle at the Moda Center. Please visit winterhawks.com/hockeychallenge for more information coming soon.
Joel Hofer finished with 48 saves, the most with the Winterhawks. Thanks to his high save totals, you can save 30% off your regular menu price at Portland area Papa Johns all day Sunday. Place your order online at papajohns.com and use the promo code SAVES25
Brice Kindopp scored a shorthanded goal in the second period, giving him 30 goals this season and becoming the third member of the Silvertips with 30+ goals (Joining Connor Dewar and Zack Andrusiak). He now has 12 points (7G-5A) in his last five games.
Dustin Wolf improves to 6-3-0 this season against Portland
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Joel Hofer with 48 saves.
EVT: Dustin Wolf with 29 saves.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Blades Plow Through Wheaties Sunday at SaskTel Centre - Saskatoon Blades
- Six Scorers Left Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Bad Third Dooms Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Leave Road with Loss - Regina Pats
- Giants Punch their Ticket to the Playoffs in a 4-1 Win over Prince George - Vancouver Giants
- Preview: Blades Welcome Wheaties - Saskatoon Blades
- Wheat Kings, Don Cherry to Help Promote Organ Donations - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game 54 at Portland - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, February 10 vs. Moose Jaw - Calgary Hitmen
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Medicine Hat - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview: Pats Wrap Four Game Alberta Road Trip in Edmonton - Regina Pats
- Christiansen Has Hat Trick, Wolf Another Shutout in 5-0 Playoff Clincher - Everett Silvertips
- ICE Fall 5-2 to Chiefs - Kootenay Ice
- Ams Unable to Overcome Early Flurry of Royals Goals, Fall 7-4 - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Stymied by Warriors Netminder Evanoff and a Severe Shortage of Puck Luck - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets Build Lead, Cruise to 4-1 Win - Kelowna Rockets
- No Dice in Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Storm Past Americans - Victoria Royals
- Tigers Outlasted by Thunderbirds 4-3 in OT - Medicine Hat Tigers
- T-Birds Tame Tigers In Overtime - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Complete Season Sweep of ICE with 5-2 Win - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Down Hurricanes, Habscheid Records 500th WHL Win - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.