B-Sens Players on the Move Following Nine-Player Trade
OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators announced today that the club has acquired defenceman Dion Phaneuf, forward Matt Frattin, forward Casey Bailey, forward Ryan Rupert and defence prospect Cody Donaghey from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for defenceman Jared Cowen, forwards Colin Greening, Milan Michalek and Tobias Lindberg as well as Ottawa's second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft. No salary will be retained by either team over the trade's entirety.
Phaneuf, 30, has recorded 24 points (three goals, 21 assists), while registering 67 penalty minutes in 51 games for Toronto this season. The three-time National Hockey League all-star has scored 120 goals and added 304 assists in 801 career games between the Calgary Flames and Toronto.
The 6-3, 227-pound defenceman was Calgary's first pick (ninth overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He was traded to Toronto on 1/31/10 with Fredrik Sjostrom and Keith Aulie in exchange for Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and Ian White.
Phaneuf has been a finalist for the Norris trophy (2007-08), a member of the NHL All-Rookie Team (2006), an NHL First All-Star Team member (2008) and has played in three NHL All-Star Games (2007, 2008 and 2012).
Frattin, 28, a veteran of 135 NHL games with Toronto, the Columbus Blue Jackets and Los Angeles Kings, has recorded 22 points (nine goals, 13 assists) over 47 games with the AHL's Marlies this season. Bailey, 24, has 18 points, including four goals, in 38 AHL games this season and has one goal in six career NHL games, each of which has occurred with Toronto. Rupert, 21, has six goals and 12 points in 29 AHL games with Toronto this season. Donaghey, 19, was signed by the Maple Leafs as an undrafted free agent and has scored five goals and registered 22 points in 36 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League games with the Halifax Mooseheads and Moncton Wildcats this season.
Greening, 29, scored 38 goals and registered 87 points over 256 NHL games (all with Ottawa) including one this season. Cowen, 25, has earned four assists in 37 games this season and has recorded 15 goals and 46 points in 249 career games with the Senators. Michalek, 31, has scored six goals and registered 10 points this season. In 729 career games with Ottawa and the San Jose Sharks, he has scored 206 goals and added 232 assists for 438 points. Lindberg, 20, was Ottawa's fourth-round selection (102nd overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. He has recorded 22 points (five goals, 17 assists) over 34 games in his rookie season with the Binghamton Senators.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2016
- Rowney in Hero's Role Again as Penguins Win in OT - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dickinson Powers Stars to 3-2 Road Win over Moose - Texas Stars
- Comets Mount Comeback Before OT Loss - Utica Comets
- Monsters Win Third Straight, Top Wolves 3-2 in OT - Cleveland Monsters
- Despite Sislo's Pair, Albany Devils Fall to Providence Bruins - Albany Devils
- Wolves Dropped by Monsters in OT - Chicago Wolves
- Smith Ensures Win in Season Debut, P-Bruins Down Devils 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Fucale Superb in Blanking of Crunch - St. John's IceCaps
- Rockford Reassigns Mattson to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Crunch Blanked by IceCaps, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Star Wars Night Benefitting Special Olympics Hightlights Jersey Auction - Rockford IceHogs
- Derek Grant Fractures Jaw - Stockton Heat
- SJ Barracuda Look to Bounce Back with Three Home Games this Week - San Jose Barracuda
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Charlie Dodero from Greenville Swamp Rabbits - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Re-Assign Serville to Tulsa - Manitoba Moose
- Manitoba Moose Weekly - Manitoba Moose
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Kick off 5-Game Home Stand this Wednesday - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Enfield's & B-Sens Team up to Fight ALS in Upstate NY - Binghamton Senators
- First Responders Night, Presented by Turtle Wax, Set for April 16 - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Hit the Road for Three Central Division Matchups - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Join the Amerks for "Hockey Weekend Across America" February 19-21 - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Recall Wilson from Portland - Portland Pirates
- Condors Game Preview: Celebrate Fat Tuesday with $5 Margaritas and $2 Sodas Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Falcons Announce Danny Briere Bobblehead Night - Springfield Falcons
- San Jose Barracuda Host Pink in the Rink on February 13 - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Finish off Three-Game Road Trip in Bakersfield Tonight at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- B-Sens Players on the Move Following Nine-Player Trade - Binghamton Senators
- Red-Hot Bears Keep Rolling - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.