B-Mets Break Up Perfecto, But Lose In The Ninth
Tyler Clippard retired the first 21 Binghamton Mets to face him before a three-run eighth, but the Trenton Thunder won in their last at-bat for the second straight day, picking up a 4-3 victory at Waterfront Park Monday. Trenton took three of four in the series from the B-Mets, who've dropped seven of their last eight.
The game began as a pitcher's duel between Clippard and Binghamton's Miguel Pinango, who didn't allow a hit until the fifth. Randy Ruiz put Trenton up 2-0 in the sixth with a two-run homer to left, the only runs Miguel would allow in eight innings of work.
Meanwhile, the B-Mets (21-30) didn't get anyone on base until the eighth, when Michel Abreu ended the perfect game with a single to left. Andy Wilson followed with a two-run homer over the leftfield fence, tying the game at two. Jay Caligiuri then doubled, chasing Clippard from the ballgame. Corey Ragsdale bunted pinch-runner Kevin Rios to third before Ray Navarrete reached J. Brent Cox (2-2) for a single, scoring Rios for a 3-2 lead.
In the ninth, Trenton (25-25) was able to score twice off B-Mets reliever Robert Paulk who, after getting the first out, allowed a Felix Escalona single and walked Kevin Howard, putting the winning runs on base. Justin Christian then singled up the middle off Paulk (1-2), scoring Escalona with the tying run before Vince Faison's base hit brought home Howard with the winning run.
Tuesday, the B-Mets start a six-game homestand, opening a three-game set with the Reading Phillies. Bryan Edwards (1-3, 5.60) gets the ball for Binghamton against Zach Segovia (2-1, 3.32) of Reading. Game time is 6:00 from NYSEG with the Horizons Federal Credit Union Pre-Game Show kicking off the broadcast at 5:45 on Newsradio 1290 WNBF.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 29, 2006
- Baysox cap road trip on positive note - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats roll to easy 14-4 win Monday night vs. Harrisburg - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs manage split with 9-5 win - Portland Sea Dogs
- Another day, another Thunder walkoff win - Trenton Thunder
- B-Mets Break Up Perfecto, But Lose In The Ninth - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Feliciano to DL; Raines to Harrisburg - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve defeat SeaWolves on Memorial Day, 4-2 - Altoona Curve
- Alfonzo promoted to the big leagues - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Harrisburg Senators game notes - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- Ponies Blanked by Cats in Pitcher's Duel
- Mazeika Named to 2019 Eastern League Season-Ending All-Star Team
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #129: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-38, 61-67) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (28-34, 59-70) - 7:05PM
- Fisher Cats Power Their Way to Series-Opening Win over Ponies
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #128: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (26-37, 61-66) at New Hampshire Fisher Cats (27-34, 58-70) - 7:05PM