Aviators bring out the brooms
ROBSTOWN, TEXAS - The Coastal Bend Aviators completed the sweep of the Pensacola Pelicans on Thursday night in front of a crowd of 1,599.
In the fourth game of the series, both teams came out swinging early on. The Pelicans scored four runs early, only to see them evaporate with a four run bottom of the second put together by Coastal Bend.
A battle of the bullpens ensued as Jonathon Wiebe had a stellar performance as the newest member of the Aviators. Through three innings pitched, five through seven, he remarkably faced only one hitter over the minimum. He surrendered one hit and struck out one, as Wiebe is the Coastal Bend's Defensive Player of the Game.
Jeff Ontiveros was two for five at the plate, coming into the game with a .471 batting average over the past five games, including the walk-off single that scored the winning run. Ontiveros, former University of Texas standout, is awarded the Offensive Player of the Game.
Join the Aviators tomorrow night on the radio as they begin a weekend series in El Paso by tuning in to ESPN Radio 1230 KSIX, or 1150 KCCT. (Check local listings) Come out to the ballpark next Tuesday as the Coastal Bend hosts a three game series with the Shreveport Sports. Call 361-387-8585 for all ticketing needs, or visit the ticket office at the ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2006
- Santana sets record in 6-4 loss - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs lefty blanks Cats 4-0 - Fort Worth Cats
- Saints lose, 6-1, to Sioux City - St. Paul Saints
- Author of Mel Allen Biography on Pelicans Radio Show - Pensacola Pelicans
- Aviators bring out the brooms - Coastal Bend Aviators