Austin Spurs Top Vipers on Kids Day 106-94
HIDALGO, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (6-5) fell 106-94 to the Austin Spurs (10-2) this afternoon in front of a sold out Kids Day crowd at State Farm Arena.
Jarvis Threatt led the Vipers with a season-high 22 points, followed by Will Cummings with 18 points. Raphiael Putney scored his eighth double-double of the season with 17 points and 10 rebounds. Chris Walker also scored a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
Orlando Johnson led the Spurs with 21 points. Cady Lalanne added 20 points and 15 rebounds. San Antonio Spurs assignee Ray McCallum scored 18 points. Deshaun Thomas added 17 points and 10 rebounds. Demetri McCamey recorded 13 points.
The Vipers quickly took control of the first quarter. By the 5:20 mark, a layup from Threatt gave RGV a 16-4 lead. The Spurs responded with a 9-2 run to cut their deficit to 18-13 with 2:43 remaining in the quarter. At the end of the first period, RGV held a 21-16 advantage. Austin's 16 first quarter points are the fewest scored by a Vipers opponent this season.
Austin's fight continued throughout the second quarter. Thomas stole the 25-24 lead with a layup three minutes into the quarter. Orlando Johnson scored 13 of his 21 total points in the second quarter to lead Austin. Meanwhile, Jarvis Threatt also scored 13 of his 22 total points in the second quarter to lead RGV. The Spurs outscored RGV 39-34 in the quarter to tie the game at 54 points at halftime.
The Spurs dominated the third quarter 32-16. RGV's 16 quarter points are the fewest scored by the Vipers in a quarter this season.
However, RGV fought back during the fourth quarter. Putney scored 10 of his 17 total points to help the Vipers close their gap. RGV won the final quarter 23-19, but it was not enough to get the final win.
Tomorrow RGV travels to Austin for a 7:30 p.m. (CST) tipoff. Then, the Vipers head west for a pair of back-to-back games in California. On Sunday, Dec. 20 RGV visits the Los Angeles D-Fenders at 7 p.m. (CST). Then, on Monday, Dec. 21, the Vipers visit the Bakersfield Jam at 9 p.m. (CST).
For more information about the Vipers or purchase tickets, call the Vipers at 956-972-1144 or visit RGVipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 17, 2015
- Memphis Grizzlies Recall James Ennis, Jarell Martin and Russ Smith from Iowa Energy - Iowa Wolves
- Atlanta Hawks Assign Edy Tavares to NBA Development League - Austin Spurs
- Austin Spurs Top Vipers on Kids Day 106-94 - Austin Spurs
- Detroit Pistons Guard Brandon Jennings Assigned to Grand Rapids Drive of NBA D-League - Grand Rapids Drive
- Vipers Fall to Austin on Kids Day 106-94 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Warriors to Recognize Santa Cruz's Own Luke Rockhold - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Memphis Grizzlies Assign James Ennis, Jarell Martin and Russ Smith to Iowa Energy - Iowa Wolves
- Kings Assign Duje Dukan to Reno - Reno Bighorns
- Cavaliers Recall Joe Harris from Canton Charge - Canton Charge
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- Austin Spurs Center Amida Brimah Named to 2018-19 NBA G League All-Defensive Team
- Blue Routs Spurs
- San Antonio Recalls Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs
- Austin Spurs Fall to Sioux Falls Skyforce 116-111
- San Antonio Recalls Chimezie Metu and Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs