Attack Can't Complete Comeback, Fall 5-3 to Rangers
The Attack visited Kitchener this afternoon hoping to snap a four-game losing streak. Owen Sound's last victory was against the Rangers at the Bayshore on January 9th, but the Rangers hold the season series lead at 2-1. The two teams have been common foes as of late, with four meetings in just over two weeks and two more meetings to come before Valentine's Day.
It was Kitchener that started the scoring, with Greg Meireles converting on an early power play and giving the Rangers a 1-0 lead. Kitchener controlled play for most of the opening frame but thanks to a few quality saves and well-placed goalposts, the score remained at 1-0. Finally, in the dying seconds of the period Aidan Dudas found the back of the net but it went under review. The referees reviewed it and determined two-tenths of a second remained and the Attack tied it up heading into the first intermission.
The second period began in front of a lively crowd at the Kitchener Auditorium, where the rink might have been the warmest place on a cold January Sunday. Early into the second, Jonathan Yantsis continued his hot streak against the Attack, scoring his 33rd of the season and giving the Rangers a 2-1 lead. Just after the halfway mark, the Owen Sound Attack went to a 5 on 3 for a full two minutes and began to pepper Luke Richardson with shots but he couldn't be solved and Kitchener managed to kill off the two-man disadvantage. The Rangers had their turn on a 5 on 3 late in the period and Rickard Hugg scored his 18th of the season to give Kitchener a 3-1 lead after 2.
The Attack struck early in the 3rd with Maksim Sushko finishing off a pretty play from Aidan Dudas to cut the lead to one and bring Owen Sound back into the game. Greg Meireles would answer back however and restore the Kitchener lead to two. The back and forth affair continued with Cade Robinson notching his 4th of the season and once again, the deficit was cut to one. The Attack continued to push and the shot clock continued to climb but they couldn't get pucks past Luke Richardson and Greg Meireles would complete his hat trick into an empty net and seal the game for the Rangers 5-3.
The Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the Game was Sergey Popov. The three stars of the game were Aidan Dudas with a goal and an assist, Luke Richardson with 36 saves, and Greg Meireles with his hat trick.
The Owen Sound Attack will be back in action next Friday night as they take on the Guelph Storm at the Sleeman Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2019
- Generals Win Fifth Straight - Oshawa Generals
- Islanders Prospects Jenkins, Wilde Help Spirit Pull Away from Spits - Saginaw Spirit
- Knights Beaten by Battalion in Overtime - London Knights
- Coe Delivers Overtime Win - North Bay Battalion
- Steelheads Complete Perfect Weekend with Victory over Sting - Mississauga Steelheads
- Sting Tipped by a Goal - Sarnia Sting
- Bulldogs Finish Weekend with 3-1 Win in Kingston - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Fronts Suffer 3-1 Loss in Last Meeting of the Season with Bulldogs - Kingston Frontenacs
- Attack Can't Complete Comeback, Fall 5-3 to Rangers - Owen Sound Attack
- IceDogs Solidify Season Series Win over Storm with 4-3 Win - Niagara IceDogs
- Meireles Leads the Rangers over the Attack, 5-3 - Kitchener Rangers
- Preview: Dellandrea, Durham, Keppen, Firebirds Invade Oshawa Sunday - Flint Firebirds
- Game Preview: Gens vs. Firebirds at Home Tonight at 6:05pm - Oshawa Generals
- Spirit Take on Spits for Covenant Kids Sunday at the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Owen Sound Attack Stories
- Attack & Canadian Cancer Society Raise over $7000 Through Head Shave Event
- Andrew Perrott Named Huron Tractor Attacker of the Week
- Attack Extend Win Streak to Five with 4-1 Victory over Sudbury
- Aidan Dudas Named to Team OHL for CIBC Canada Russia Series
- Burroughs and Lawrence Named to Team Canada Roster for U17 Hockey Challenge