Atlanta United Signs Santiago Sosa
ATLANTA - Atlanta United today announced it has signed defensive midfielder Santiago Sosa via transfer from Club Atlético River Plate. The 21-year-old will sign a multi-year contract and occupy an international slot pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P-1 Visa.
"Santiago is a holding midfielder who understands and reads the game exceptionally well for someone his age," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "He broke through into the First Team at River last year, experiencing numerous big matches in both Copa Libertadores and the Copa Diego Maradona, in addition to his time with Argentina U-20s."
Sosa, 21, has played his entire professional career with River Plate. He signed with River's academy in 2008 and worked his way through the ranks. In the 2018-19 season, Sosa was elevated to the senior roster. His professional debut came in the Copa Libertadores on Aug. 30, 2018 when he entered as a substitute in a 3-0 win vs. Racing Club.
The La Plata, Argentina native earned his Argentine Superliga debut a month later against LanÃºs. Sosa's first start for River Plate followed in November against Estudiantes. After two appearances across all competitions in 2019, Sosa made 14 appearances in 2020, with six of them coming in the Copa Libertadores and six in the Copa Diego Armando Maradona, where he helped River win its group and advance to the Fase Campeón. His first assist of his professional career came in a 3-0 win against LDU Quito in the Libertadores group stage.
Sosa has made 13 appearances, 10 of them starts, with the Argentine U-20 national team dating back to 2018. He captained the side on two occasions, including once in the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup, where he played alongside current Atlanta United midfielder Ezequiel Barco.
Name: Santiago Sosa
Birthdate: May 3, 1999 (21)
Birthplace: La Plata, Argentina
Transaction: Atlanta United signs Santiago Sosa on a transfer from River Plate on February 12, 2021.
2021 Atlanta United roster (as of Feb. 12, 2021)
Goalkeepers (2): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann
Defenders (9): Mikey Ambrose, George Bello, George Campbell, Franco Escobar*, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza, Efrain Morales, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes
Midfielders (11): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Machop Chol, Jürgen Damm, Emerson Hyndman, Marcelino Moreno, Jake Mulraney, Eric Remedi, Matheus Rossetto, Santiago Sosa, Tyler Wolff
Forwards (5): Jackson Conway, Erik Lopez, Lisando López, Josef Martinez, Erick "Cubo" Torres
* - on loan with Newell's Old Boys
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 12, 2021
- Whitecaps FC Welcomes Nikos Overheul as Director of Recruitment - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs First Round SuperDraft Pick Josh Penn to First Team Contract - Inter Miami CF
- Tomas Giraldo Loaned to FC Edmonton - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Signs Santiago Sosa - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Unveil the New Exclusive adidas Marble Jersey Ahead of 2021 Season - D.C. United
- Randall Leal Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Justin Che to FC Bayern Munich - FC Dallas
- New York City FC Acquires Defender Malte Amundsen from Danish Club Vejle BK - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Draw Philadelphia Union in Leg Two of SCCL Quarterfinal
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
- AMB Sports and Entertainment to Increase Capacity to 100 Percent Beginning May 15