Inter Miami CF Signs First Round SuperDraft Pick Josh Penn to First Team Contract
Inter Miami CF announced today that it has signed 2021 MLS SuperDraft first round pick Josh Penn to a First Team contract. The winger joins after mutually terminating his contract with USL Championship club Indy Eleven.
Penn, 20, a standout at Indiana University, starring in attack for the Hoosiers. The winger made 22 appearances in his only season with the team, starting in each one, and finished with six goals and two assists. Penn also made history with USL Championship club Indy Eleven, becoming the first player to sign professionally for the club after having competed for its academy, also becoming the youngest player to ever sign for the club at that time (18 years, three months and 27 days). The left-footed attacker has also played for the U.S. U-19 and U-20 men's national teams.
Inter Miami selected Penn in the 2021 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas with the 10th overall pick, as well as defenders Aimé Mabika with the 26th overall pick and Joe Hafferty with the 37th overall pick, who was subsequently traded to Seattle Sounders FC. After being selected, players may join their MLS clubs for the 2021 preseason but still need to be signed to an MLS contract in order to be eligible for the 2021 MLS campaign.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 12, 2021
- Whitecaps FC Welcomes Nikos Overheul as Director of Recruitment - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs First Round SuperDraft Pick Josh Penn to First Team Contract - Inter Miami CF
- Tomas Giraldo Loaned to FC Edmonton - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Signs Santiago Sosa - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Unveil the New Exclusive adidas Marble Jersey Ahead of 2021 Season - D.C. United
- Randall Leal Called up for International Duty - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Justin Che to FC Bayern Munich - FC Dallas
- New York City FC Acquires Defender Malte Amundsen from Danish Club Vejle BK - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.