Atlanta United Signs Ben Lundgaard from ATL UTD 2
ATLANTA -Atlanta United today announced it has signed goalkeeper Ben Lundgaard from Atlanta United 2 to a one-year contract with two additional option years.
"Ben has been a model of consistency and hard work since joining Atlanta United 2 and he's earned an opportunity with the First Team," Atlanta United Vice President and Technical Director Carlos Bocanegra said. "He's still young for his position and has a great opportunity to learn from our current group of goalkeepers, while providing additional competition."
Lundgaard, 25, joins Atlanta United after playing one season with ATL UTD 2. He started 13 matches and finished sixth in the USL Championship with 47 saves, two of which were penalties.
The 6-foot-6 keeper came to Atlanta after playing for Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC in 2019 where he was on loan from Columbus Crew SC. Lundgaard was drafted by the Crew with the 21st overall pick in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft and spent the 2018 season on loan with Indy Eleven.
Originally from Wilmington, Delaware, Lundgaard played four seasons at Virginia Tech where he made 70 appearances and registered 23 shutouts, the second-most in program history. In his senior 2017 season, Lundgaard was named to the First Team All-Atlantic Coast Conference after leading the conference in saves and posting six shutouts.
Lundgaard also spent time with New York Red Bulls U-23s in the Premier Development League, now known as USL League Two, and was named the 2017 PDL Goalkeeper of the Year after making 13 appearances and allowing just 10 goals.
Name: Ben Lundgaard
Birthdate: Sept. 25, 1995 (age: 25)
Birthplace: Wilmington, Delaware
Transaction: Atlanta United signs Ben Lundgaard to a one-year contract with two additional option years on March 4, 2021.
2021 Atlanta United roster (as of March 4, 2021)
Goalkeepers (3): Brad Guzan, Alec Kann, Ben Lundgaard
Defenders (10): Mikey Ambrose, George Bello, George Campbell, Franco Escobar*, Ronald HernÃ¡ndez, Brooks Lennon, Fernando Meza**, Efrain Morales, Miles Robinson, Anton Walkes
Midfielders (11): Mo Adams, Ezequiel Barco, Machop Chol, Jürgen Damm, Emerson Hyndman, Franco Ibarra, Marcelino Moreno, Jake Mulraney, Matheus Rossetto, Santiago Sosa, Tyler Wolff
Forwards (5): Jackson Conway, Erik Lopez, Lisandro López, Josef Martinez, Erick "Cubo" Torres
* - on loan with Newell's Old Boys
** - on loan with Defensa y Justicia
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 4, 2021
- Sounders FC Signs Forward Fredy Montero - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Signs Ben Lundgaard from ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- MLS NEXT Expands; Announces Early Admissions Ahead of 2021-2022 Season - MLS
- New York City FC Signs Goalkeeper Cody Mizell - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Derrick Williams - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Acquire $125,000 in General Allocation Money from the LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls Receive $50K in Allocation Money in Exchange for Homegrown Rights - New York Red Bulls
- Colorado Rapids Sign U.S. U-17 Winger Yaya Toure to Homegrown Player Contract - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Acquire $75,000 in General Allocation Money from the Colorado Rapids - D.C. United
- Colorado Rapids Sign U.S. Youth International Michael Edwards to Homegrown Player Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Joins with Fellow Local Sports Teams, Seattle University to Advance Diversity in Sports and Entertainment Industry - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC & Houston Dash Unveil New 2021 Primary Kits - Houston Dynamo FC
- New York City FC Midfielder James Sands Signs Contract Extension - New York City FC
- MNUFC Signs Patrick Weah as Homegrown Player - Minnesota United FC
- Austin FC Announces Michael Lahoud as English Language TV Broadcast Analyst - Austin FC
- Chicago Fire FC Defender Miguel Navarro Receives U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire FC
- Philadelphia Union Defender Ray Gaddis Announces Retirement - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Signs Defender Alan Franco
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 vs. LD Alajuelense in Leg One of Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16
- Atlanta United Signs Rocco Rios Novo to Short Term Agreement
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. LD Alajuelense
- Atlanta United Signs Jack Gurr