LA Galaxy Sign Defender Derrick Williams
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy announced today that the club has signed Ireland International defender Derrick Williams from English Football League Championship side Blackburn Rovers. Williams, 28, has played professionally in England since 2011 and has represented Republic of Ireland youth and senior teams throughout his career. Williams, who joins the club on a two-year deal with an additional one-year option, holds an American passport and will not occupy an International Roster spot on the LA Galaxy roster. He will be added to the club's roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) once the MLS transfer window opens this month.
Williams has concluded the mandated quarantine period and has been cleared on his entrance medical exams and testing.
"Derrick is an experienced defender who has played at a high level in England and internationally," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "We believe Derrick will strengthen our defense and add competition to the position. We are excited to have Derrick join the squad and look forward to his contributions to the club."
The Galaxy originally acquired the Discovery rights to Williams in a trade with D.C. United for $125,000 General Allocation Money ($75,000 GAM in 2021 and $50,000 GAM in 2022). The trade is contingent on the player formally being added to the club's roster during the MLS transfer window.
Williams began his career with Aston Villa in 2011 before moving on to feature for Bristol City (2013-2016) and Blackburn Rovers (2016-2021). He has made over 250 combined appearances in the England's League One and the EFL Championship during his professional career, including additional appearances in the Premier League and the FA Cup, among others.
The Irish International debuted in the Premier League in 2012 with Aston Villa before signing with Bristol City in League One the following year. He featured regularly for Bristol City before helping them earn promotion to the Championship during the 2014-15 season. He then joined Blackburn Rovers in the Championship in 2016, making 152 total appearances for the club in all.
Internationally, Williams played for both the Ireland U-18 and Ireland U-21 sides in various competitions before going on to make his full senior debut with the Republic of Ireland in 2018 in a friendly against France under head coach Martin O'Neill. Williams also represented Ireland's national team in 2019 when former LA Galaxy legend, MLS MVP and three-time MLS Cup winner Robbie Keane was on staff as an assistant coach.
Williams signs with the LA Galaxy following the club's signings of midfielder Carlos Harvey (Tauro F.C.), defender Oniel Fisher (free agent), defender Jorge Villafaña (Portland Timbers), goalkeeper Jonathan Bond (West Bromwich Albion F.C.), defender Marcus Ferkranus (LA Galaxy Academy), midfielder Adam Saldaña (LA Galaxy Academy), and defender Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy Academy) and the signing of goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann to a new contract.
Transaction: The Galaxy acquire the Discovery rights to Derrick Williams in a trade with D.C. United for $125,000 General Allocation Money ($75,000 GAM in 2021 and $50,000 GAM in 2022). The trade is contingent on the player formally being added to the club's roster during the MLS transfer window.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign defender Derrick Williams.
Name: Derrick Williams
Weight: 165 lbs.
Born: January 17, 1993
Last Club: Blackburn Rovers (ENG)
Birthplace: Hamburg, Germany
Nationality: Ireland, Germany, United States
How Acquired: Signed on March 4, 2021
Roster Designation: Domestic
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2021 Major League Soccer season are now available. LA Galaxy fans can go to lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2021 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. In addition to visiting lagalaxy.com/since96, fans can secure 2021 Season Ticket Memberships by emailing email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 4, 2021
- Sounders FC Signs Forward Fredy Montero - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Signs Ben Lundgaard from ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- MLS NEXT Expands; Announces Early Admissions Ahead of 2021-2022 Season - MLS
- New York City FC Signs Goalkeeper Cody Mizell - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Derrick Williams - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Acquire $125,000 in General Allocation Money from the LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls Receive $50K in Allocation Money in Exchange for Homegrown Rights - New York Red Bulls
- Colorado Rapids Sign U.S. U-17 Winger Yaya Toure to Homegrown Player Contract - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Acquire $75,000 in General Allocation Money from the Colorado Rapids - D.C. United
- Colorado Rapids Sign U.S. Youth International Michael Edwards to Homegrown Player Contract - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Joins with Fellow Local Sports Teams, Seattle University to Advance Diversity in Sports and Entertainment Industry - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo FC & Houston Dash Unveil New 2021 Primary Kits - Houston Dynamo FC
- New York City FC Midfielder James Sands Signs Contract Extension - New York City FC
- MNUFC Signs Patrick Weah as Homegrown Player - Minnesota United FC
- Austin FC Announces Michael Lahoud as English Language TV Broadcast Analyst - Austin FC
- Chicago Fire FC Defender Miguel Navarro Receives U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire FC
- Philadelphia Union Defender Ray Gaddis Announces Retirement - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Sign Winger Kevin Cabral
- LA Galaxy Launch Galaxy Discovery Program
- LA Galaxy Launch Since '96 Retro Collection in Conjunction with Major League Soccer
- LA Galaxy Announce Time Change for June 19 Home Match against Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy vs. New England Revolution - Wednesday, March 31, 2021 (Preseason)