ATL UTD 2 Falls to Nashville SC 2-0
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United 2 lost 2-0 to Nashville SC in front of 3,109 fans at Fifth Third Bank Stadium Saturday night. Atlanta out-shot and out-possessed Nashville, but was unable to overcome an early deficit.
ATL UTD 2 found itself behind in the opening minutes of the match. Playing in a heavy rainstorm, Will Vint played a back pass that skipped on the slick surface by goalkeeper Brendan Moore for an own goal in the fourth minute. The visitors doubled the lead in the 12th minute when Matt LaGrassa collected a ball at the top of box and drilled a low drive into the bottom right corner.
Atlanta found its way into the match as the half continued, but inclement weather then halted the game due to lightning in the 34th minute. After a 60-minute delay, Romario Williams, who had been fouled in a good position right before the delay, curled a free kick towards the top left corner that was saved by Connor Sparrow.
The second half saw ATL UTD 2 more comfortable in possession and looking for opportunities to cut into the Nashville lead. In the 57th minute, Williams had another good look on the edge of the box, but his shot was straight at Sparrow. George Campbell received a red card for a hard tackle in the 76th minute, and the comeback attempt fell short.
ATL UTD 2 (3-5-1, 10 points) returns to action Sunday, May 12 at Bethlehem Steel FC with kickoff scheduled for 6 p.m. EST. The match will be streamed live on ESPN+.
Atlanta 0, Nashville 2
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 12-7 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 4-3 Nashville
Corner kicks: 5-2 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 20-19 Nashville
Saves: 3-2 Nashville
Offside: 2-1 Nashville
Possession: 66-34 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 84-62 Atlanta
NSH - Will Vint 4' (own goal)
NSH - Matt LaGrassa 12'
ATL - Will Vint (yellow) 18'
ATL - Jackson Conway (yellow) 20'
NSH - Daniel Rios (yellow) 59'
NSH - Bradley Bourgeois (yellow) 67'
ATL - George Campbell (red) 76'
NSH - Boluwatife Akinyode (yellow) 90+1'
ATL - Laurence Wyke (yellow) 90+3'
ATLANTA UNITED 2 STARTING LINEUP
Brendan Moore; Laurence Wyke, Wesley Decas, George Campbell, Jack Metcalf ©; Will Vint (Anderson Asiedu - 45'), Kevin Barajas (Bienvenue Kanakimana - 45'), Luiz Fernando, Alessandro Castro (Yosef Samuel - 69'); Romario Williams, Jackson Conway.
Substitutes not used: Dylan Castanheira; Tyler Ruthven, José Hernández, Laurent Kissiedou.
NASHVILLE SC STARTING LINEUP
Connor Sparrow; Bradley Bourgeois, Justin Davis, Kenneth Tribbett, Michael Reed © (Lebo Moloto - 83'), Taylor Washington, Kosuke Kimura, Boluwatife Akinyode, Kharlton Belmar (Ropapa Mensah - 84'), Daniel Rios (Alan Winn - 90'), Matt LaGrassa.
Substitutes not used: Matt Pickens; Liam Doyle, Tucker Hume, Darnell King.
Gabriele Giusti (referee), Zeno Gyuho Cho (assistant), Dallas Rosier (assistant), Ben Rigel (fourth).
Bienvenue Kanakimana made his second appearance for the club
Romario Williams led the team with four total shots
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 5, 2019
- Wehan's brace iscrucial as United takes top of the Western Conference table - New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 0-3 on the Road to New Mexico United - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC to Host Mexican Soccer Giants Pachuca in Summer Kickoff at AutoZone Park - Memphis 901 FC
- Matt LaGrassa Earns Budweiser Man of the Match with Parents in Stands - Nashville SC
- Vicious Comeback Gives Lights FC Third Consecutive Home Victory - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Republic FC Fall 4-2 on the Road to Las Vegas Lights FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Reno Remains Undefeated against Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Tacoma Defiance Closes Road Swing with 2-1 Loss at OKC Energy FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising Falls 2-1 to Orange County - Phoenix Rising FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls to Nashville SC 2-0 - Atlanta United 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.