Artis Has Career Night, Birds Throttle Woodpeckers in Series Opener
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - D.J. Artis tied a franchise record with five hits in the Myrtle Beach Pelicans 10-3 thumping of the Fayetteville Woodpeckers on Friday night from Segra Stadium.
The huge night from Artis was the second time that a Pelicans player collected five hits in a game this season (Zach Davis, June 27 at Fayetteville) and the 10th player in franchise history to do so.
The Pelicans (42-67, 21-21) jumped on the board in a big way first in the third inning with five runs off of Fayetteville (53-58, 22-20) starter J.P. France (L, 4-7). With runners on the corners, Cam Balego drew a walk on a ball in the dirt that allowed Carlos Sepulveda to score on a wild pitch, making it 1-0 Myrtle Beach. The next batter, Grant Fennell , then blasted a three-run homer to give the Pelicans a 4-0 advantage. Luke Reynolds followed by lining an RBI double down the right field line to put Myrtle Beach out in front 5-0.
The Woodpeckers found the board in the bottom of the fourth with a solo homer from Chandler Taylor to make it 5-1 Pelicans.
Myrtle Beach answered back in the sixth when Balego lined an RBI single to left, scoring Sepulveda. With the bases loaded, Fennell, who had a career-high four RBIs, then plated Artis on a sacrifice fly to stake Myrtle Beach to a 7-1 lead.
In the seventh, they continued to pour it on. Artis beat out an infield RBI single to the shortstop for his fifth hit on the day before Balego knocked in a pair more on a two-run base hit up the middle, giving the Birds a 10-1 edge.
The Woodpeckers struck back in the bottom of the eighth on an RBI double by David Hensley and a Ross Adolph RBI single, but it was not enough.
Jeffrey Passantino (W, 1-0) earned the victory in his start for the Birds, allowing just one run over his six innings while striking out five and walking one.
The Pelicans continue their three-game series with Woodpeckers at Segra Stadium on Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. and RHP Enrique De Los Rios (1-2, 1.66 ERA) will take the hill for the Pelicans against RHP Shawn Dubin (2-4, 4.61 ERA) for the Woodpeckers. Coverage will begin at 5:45 p.m. on the Pelicans Baseball Network which is available on the TuneIn App, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and MiLB First Pitch app.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
Images from this story
D.J. Artis of the Myrtle Beach Pelicans
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 2, 2019
- Artis Has Career Night, Birds Throttle Woodpeckers in Series Opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Taugner Turns in Quality Gem in 2-1 Road Win in Winston-Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- McClure Tosses Quality Start in 2-1 Loss on Friday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wood Ducks Play Longball to Snap Keys Streak - Frederick Keys
- Thompson, Arias Blast Woodies Past Keys - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Dominate Woodpeckers in Series Opener - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Red Sox Score Six Unanswered Runs to Down Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Cate Fans Ten as P-Nats Win Fourth Straight - Potomac Nationals
- August 2 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 2 vs. Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Have a Catch with the P-Nats on Field of Dreams 30th Anniversary Night on August 10 - Potomac Nationals
- INF Luke Reynolds assigned to Myrtle Beach from Low-A South Bend - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 2 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- OF Tyler Frost placed on the injured list - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 2 at Fayetteville - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Former Mudcat Trent Grisham Makes Major League Debut - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats to Celebrate Ace Ventura: Pet Detective 25th Anniversary - Potomac Nationals
- Phil Morris Celebrity Autograph Signing Cancelled Due to Film Role - Potomac Nationals
- Dash to Host Cancer Awareness Night on August 9 - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.