Arsenal Wins Preseason Battle Over Bakersfield
FULLERTON, Calif. (Nov. 20, 2008) - Mike Efevberha scored 19 points including the game-winning shot to put the Anaheim Arsenal over the Bakersfield Jam in a 102-100 preseason battle at Hope International University on Thursday night.
Bakersfield led for most of the game, but saw its 17-point third quarter lead dwindle to nothing when Anaheim's Noel Felix completed a three-point play to tie the score at 98 with just 2:12 remaining in the game. The Arsenal and the Jam then exchanged baskets before Efevberha hit a 10-foot jumper on Anaheim's final possession.
"I'm happy with the way we continued to play hard and work on our execution on a night where we weren't playing well," said Anaheim Coach Sam Vincent. "It showed great character, which is something you look for heading into the regular season."
Former UCLA standout Cedric Bozeman added 20 points, nine rebounds, and five assists for the Arsenal, who won its first contest under Coach Vincent.
Derrick Byars and Jeff Trepagnier led the Jam with 15 points apiece.
"We've been working hard and guys are tired," said Bakersfield Coach Scott Roth. "This was a great opportunity to see where we were at conditioning-wise."
Hope International will host a second preseason game on Saturday, November 22 at 4:30 pm., as the Arsenal looks to build on its victory against the Los Angeles D-Fenders. The Arsenal will open the regular season on November 29 on the road against the Idaho Stampede.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 21, 2008
- 66ers Struggle Against Energy in Preseason Game - Tulsa 66ers
- Mad Ants Defeat Bayhawks in Pre-Season Game - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Skyforce Waives Five Players - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Celtics Assign Walker to Utah Flash - Utah Flash
- Boston's Walker Assigned to NBA D-League Affiliate Utah Flash - G League
- Energy Open Preseason Tonight In Tulsa - Iowa Wolves
- Oklahoma City's Hill Assigned to NBA D-League Affiliate Tulsa 66ers - G League
- Toros Waive Five - Austin Spurs
- Pre-Season Game On Radio - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Arsenal Wins Preseason Battle Over Bakersfield - Anaheim Arsenal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.