Arencibia powers 51s over Beavers
PORTLAND, Ore. - J.P. Arencibia hit three-run homers in the first and seventh innings to lead the Las Vegas 51s past the Portland Beavers 7-2 in the first game of their season-ending four-game series before 7,368 at PGE Park on Friday night.
Aaron Mathews and Howie Clark joined Arencibia, who now has six homers in his last seven games, in scoring a pair of runs each for the 51s (70-71).
David Purcey (9-6) turned in a solid effort, pitching 5 1/3 innings while allowing single runs in the fourth and sixth innings on six hits and three walks.
Valentino Pascucci and Danny Putnam each collected two hits and Mike Baxter tripled and scored both runs for the Beavers (58-83), who snapped a nine-game losing streak in Thursday's series finale in Colorado Springs but could not return to the winner's circle Friday.
Sean Gallagher (1-1) took the loss for Portland by surrendering Arencibia's first three-run homer in the first inning, the only frame he pitched in his rehab start.
Gallagher gave up singles to Mathews and Brian Dopirak before Arencibia crushed his first homer off the batter's eye in straight away center.
Pascucci's RBI single in the fourth drove home Baxter, who had tripled, and Sean Kazmar knocked in Baxter with a two-out single in the sixth.
Scheduled starter Aaron Poreda came on in the second inning and gave up one run over his first five innings. However, the heralded lefty ran into trouble in the seventh inning, issuing his seventh and eighth walks of the game before Will Startup entered the game and gave up Arencibia's second three-run shot of the night. Poreda also finished with eight strikeouts, his highest total as a Beaver, to go along with the eight walks and three runs over 5 1/3 innings.
The series continues Saturday night with a 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) start before the Beavers and 51s play a pair of matinee games (2:05 p.m.) Sunday and Monday to round out the season at PGE Park.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 4, 2009
- Arencibia powers 51s over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Aces win pitcher's duel, 2-1 - Reno Aces
- Zephyrs Top Sounds, 4-3, On Two Home Runs - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Nip Sounds, 4-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds rally by RedHawks - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes win over Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Outhits Express - Round Rock Express
- PCL Ruling boosts Tacoma Rainiers Playoff Possibilities - Tacoma Rainiers
- OKC Redhawks Game Notes September 4th - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 51s Ruiz Named PCL Most Valuable Player - PCL
- Beavers Come Back and Down Sky Sox, 6-5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Ambriz, Blackley shut out Sacramento - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss