Another Shutout for Williamsport as Simmons and Rojas Sock Homers
Morgantown, W.V. - The Crosscutters fired their second shutout in the last three games while Kendall Simmons (10th) and Johan Rojas (2nd) both blasted opposite-field home runs in a 4-0 win at West Virginia on Saturday night. Victor Vargas, Tyler Burch (W, 3-1) and Alejandro Made combined on the four-hitter as the Crosscutters won their third in a row.
Williamsport (25-36) has allowed just 10 hits and two runs in the last three games while lowering the team ERA to 2.97 which rates second in the NYPL. The Crosscutters also pitched a two-hit shutout at Auburn on Wednesday.
Kendall Simmons lifted his 10th home run, and first to the opposite way in right field, in the seventh inning to help build on a 2-0 lead. Then Johan Rojas did the same in the eighth. Simmons is second in the NYPL in home runs. On July 27 he had only two homers all season but since then has socked eight in his last 17 games.
Bryson Stott extended his hitting streak with a 2-for-4 night. Stott has two hits in four straight games and also in eight out of the last nine in his streak in which he has gone an incredible 17-for-35 (.486) with three doubles, one triple, and three home runs.
Vargas showed flashes of strong pitching in a 3.2 inning stint that included four walks. Then Burch dominated with his first out coming to end a bases-loaded jam in the fourth. He allowed a bunt single in the fifth but after that recorded 11 consecutive outs in his strongest performance of the season.
Williamsport aims for its fourth straight win on Sunday at 1:05 p.m. at West Virginia when they send LHP Gabriel Yanez to the mound.
WIL 4 9 0 (7)
WV 0 4 2 (6)
W - Tyler Burch (3-1)
L - Braxton Ashcraft (1-9)
HR -Kendall Simmons (10), Johan Rojas (2)
Crosscutters Record: 25-36
Next Game: Sunday, August 18, 7:05 p.m. at West Virginia
Next Home Game/Promotion: Thursday, August 22, 7:05 p.m. vs. Mahoning Valley / Pin Giveaway
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Purcell's Performance Propels Spikes Past Doubledays in 6-5 Win - State College Spikes
- Walks, Errors, Rain Bring Gades Pain - Hudson Valley Renegades
- West Virginia Silent in Series Opener - West Virginia Black Bears
- Another Shutout for Williamsport as Simmons and Rojas Sock Homers - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Magee's Gem and Welk's Bat Lead IronBirds to Win - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Tigers Get Key Stedler Division Win over Lowell - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Saturday's Game Suspended - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Vermont Drops Series Opener At Aberdeen 8-2 - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Late Rally Falls Short vs. Connecticut Saturday Night - Lowell Spinners
- Blair Thomas Bobbleheads Arrive, Fans Can Pick up Starting with this Weekend's Games - State College Spikes
- Black Bears Batters Bury Batavia - West Virginia Black Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Williamsport Crosscutters Stories
- Laptop Giveaway Entries Due September 7
- Cutters Launch Reading Contest
- COVID-19 Claims 2020 Cutters Season
- Cutters to Re-Live 2003 Championship Season on Social Media
- Update from the Williamsport Crosscutters