West Virginia Silent in Series Opener
GRANVILLE, W. Va.- Coming off of a three-game road trip, the West Virginia Black Bears returned home and fell to the Williamsport Crosscutters 4-0.
Despite the loss, the Black Bears remain just half a game back of the Pinckney Division crown. The leading Batavia Muckdogs lost their matchup with the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, keeping West Virginia in striking distance.
Williamsport opened things up with an early run thanks to a Black Bears miscue. A triple and a throwing error brought one across for the visitors to put them ahead in the first inning.
The Crosscutters followed that up with an RBI single in the top of the second, putting West Virginia in an early 2-0 hole.
RHP Braxton Ashcraft settled down in the following three innings to give his team a quality start. The 19-year-old finished his outing after five innings of work, where he surrendered only one earned run and five hits to go with three strikeouts and a walk.
The Black Bears struggled at the plate coming off a blistering hot road trip. The team only mustered up four hits in the ballgame, with two of them coming from SS Ethan Paul.
After a pair of solo home runs in the seventh and the eighth, Williamsport built the lead out to 4-0.
RHP Alec Rennard shut down the visitors with a scoreless top of the ninth, but West Virginia couldn't mount the comeback in the bottom half as the team dropped its first game of the home stand.
Both teams are back in action tomorrow afternoon, with first pitch scheduled for 1:05 p.m. For more information on tickets and promotions visit www.westvirginiablackbears.com.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Purcell's Performance Propels Spikes Past Doubledays in 6-5 Win - State College Spikes
- Walks, Errors, Rain Bring Gades Pain - Hudson Valley Renegades
- West Virginia Silent in Series Opener - West Virginia Black Bears
- Another Shutout for Williamsport as Simmons and Rojas Sock Homers - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Magee's Gem and Welk's Bat Lead IronBirds to Win - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Tigers Get Key Stedler Division Win over Lowell - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Saturday's Game Suspended - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Vermont Drops Series Opener At Aberdeen 8-2 - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Late Rally Falls Short vs. Connecticut Saturday Night - Lowell Spinners
- Blair Thomas Bobbleheads Arrive, Fans Can Pick up Starting with this Weekend's Games - State College Spikes
- Black Bears Batters Bury Batavia - West Virginia Black Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Virginia Black Bears Stories
- West Virginia Black Bears will not play in 2020
- Johnathan Johnston Becomes Fifth Manager in Black Bears History
- West Virginia Black Bears Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Black Bears 'Black Friday Week' Sale Incudes 30% Off Tickets, Merchandise
- West Virginia Black Bears Announce Contest to Name the Next Racing Pepperoni Roll Mascot