Another Must Win Match: Ingredients of the Match
October 4, 2022 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Charlotte FC News Release
New Personnel Same Principles
Due to the rules surrounding match postponements, Charlotte FC will have to line up with the exact same lineup that stepped onto the pitch for the 16 minutes they could when they were initially meant to play. The matchday squads are 'frozen' which also means injuries can only be replaced with players on the squad that day.
Meaning interim head coach Christian Lattanzio will have to break up the starting eleven that has won three straight matches. However, even though the personnel will change, the principles shouldn't. Charlotte have had a very clear recipe for success in their 3-match win streak and the same principles still apply.
Two of those principles are defensive discipline and high intensity. Tracking runners, marking your man, and closing down space are all under the umbrella of defensive discipline. As for intensity, it's simple but so incredibly important - outworking and pressuring your opponent for 90 minutes straight (or in this case 74 minutes). Last but definitely not least, the third major principle we've seen throughout this winning streak is...
Threatening Wing Play
One of the areas that has stood out in Charlotte's three-match winning streak has been the wing play. Charlotte's wide array of wingers have been threatening throughout the season however the production hasn't really been there until recently.
McKinze Gaines's entry into the match against Chicago sparked the comeback and against the Union, the wingers played a direct role in every one of the four goals scored. The difference in this increased productivity from wingers comes from being more aggressive verticality combined with precise service.
Charlotte's wingers have been making more disruptive runs in behind teams as well as being more aggressive in taking opposing players on one on one. Once they have gotten into those threatening areas, they've been more decisive and accurate in their service which has created an increased amount of high-quality scoring chances for the team. Continuing this level of play and production from the wingers will especially be needed against the Crew who have the 2nd stingiest defense in the Eastern Conference.
Job's Not Done
Charlotte have won three straight matches with two of them coming against teams that sit above the playoff line. As exhilarating as those wins were, the job is still far from done. As the cliché goes, making sure your highs aren't too high and your lows aren't too low is an essential part of remaining grounded throughout an intense series of matches.
"I think before when we won games and we come in for the next week, we start to play a little bit soft, like we had too much confidence," Swiderski said after the comeback win against the Chicago Fire.
The mentality has clearly shifted as the team wasn't complacent against the Philadelphia Union which led to the 4 - 0 trashing of the Eastern Conference leaders following the match against Chicago. Like every match in this last five-game stretch, they have another six-pointer ahead of them against the Crew and approaching it with the same balance of humility and confidence will keep the team mentally steady and focused for a must-win game.
Hey Charlotte FC Fans,
When it comes to Match Day...it's all about the food and Harris Teeter has everything you need. Score big with deals from great brands like these: Tostitos, Doritos & Rold Gold snacks from Frito Lay and Oreo, Chips Ahoy and Triscuits from Nabisco. Stop in your Harris Teeter for great savings on Match Day foods. Harris Teeter, Official Grocery Store of Charlotte FC!
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 4, 2022
- Inter Miami CF Signs Stefan "Don" Borrello as Second eMLS Athlete in Club History for 2023 eMLS Season - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF and Florida Blue Host Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Florida Blue Training Center - Inter Miami CF
- Colorado Rapids Academy Goalkeeper Leonardo Medina Called up to Mexico U-16 Men's Youth National Team Training Camp - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC CEO & Sporting Director Axel Schuster Signed to Four-Year Contract Extension - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Win and We're In: How Inter Miami Can Clinch Playoffs on WednesdayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Christian Lattanzio Approaching Must Win Game with Ambition But Remaining Humble - Charlotte FC
- Roster Rules: Charlotte FC vs. Columbus Crew - Charlotte FC
- Statement from Thorns FC Owner/CEO Merritt Paulson - Portland Timbers
- Maciel Undergoes Successful Surgery to Repair Left Achilles Tendon - New England Revolution
- This Sunday: All Eyes on MLS Decision Day 2022 - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce WSFS Bank Sportsplex, a Premier Destination for Sports and Recreation - Philadelphia Union
- Playoff Scenarios for Charlotte FC on October 5th - Charlotte FC
- Another Must Win Match: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF to Host Orlando City SC on Wednesday for a Crucial Matchup - Inter Miami CF
- MLS Cups and More: Drew Moor Relives His Favorite Moments in BurgundyÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Venue Confirmed for New York City Football Club Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs First-Round MatchÃÂ - New York City FC
- Orlando City Heads South to Battle Intrastate Foe Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: October 4, 2022 - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte FC Stories
- Debutant Vinicius Mello Shines in Gritty Comeback against the New York Red Bulls
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Earn Hard-Fought Point in Comeback Against a Stingy New York Red Bulls
- Charlotte FC Signs Academy Product Jack Neeley as Homegrown Player
- Rebuild the Fortress: Ingredients of the Match
- Karol Świderski Makes Poland's Roster for UEFA Euro 2024 Qualification