Philadelphia Union Announce WSFS Bank Sportsplex, a Premier Destination for Sports and Recreation
CHESTER, Pa. and WILMINGTON, Del. (Oct. 4, 2022) -Philadelphia Union today announced plans for the WSFS Bank Sportsplex, a world-class, 365-day-a-year, 170,000 sq. ft, 32-acre sports and recreation complex, in partnership with WSFS Bank. The announcement of the more than $55-million-dollar project marks a significant step in the development and revitalization of the Chester Waterfront, creating jobs and tourism while injecting millions of dollars into the Chester community. In addition, the project will bring the Philadelphia Union Academy and YSC Academy to one campus alongside the first and second teams, furthering the commitment to youth development and the player-to-pro pathway.
"This best-in-class facility will provide a singular home for our professional and academy teams while creating a premier destination for local youth groups to fall in love with sports. Alongside Subaru Park, WSFS Bank Sportsplex will become another centerpiece of our club and community strategy and I could not be more proud to see this project come to fruition," said Philadelphia Union Principal Owner Jay Sugarman.
"The announcement of WSFS Bank Sportsplex is the beginning of an important next chapter for the Philadelphia Union and the growth and development of the Chester Waterfront," said Tim McDermott, Philadelphia Union President. "The heart of this project is our commitment to community and our desire to be an agent for positive change. We are proud to do this alongside a like-minded organization in WSFS Bank and look forward to enriching the lives of young aspiring athletes in the Philadelphia area."
WSFS Bank joins the project as naming rights partner as a part of their multi-year agreement announced in August. As a part of the naming rights entitlement, the project will be named WSFS Bank Sportsplex and WSFS Bank will donate 365 hours of field and facility usage to community organizations. WSFS Bank's mission is "We Stand for Service" and, alongside the Union, are the presenting partner of community efforts including Juneteenth Volunteer Day, backpack donations, community ticket donations, donations to a Chester women's shelter, and more.
"The positive economic impact to Chester, a place where players can collaborate and prosper from the values of sports and a beautiful place where the community can host fun, safe events are just a few of the reasons we wanted to join the Union in bringing the WSFS Bank Sportsplex to Chester," said Rodger Levenson, WSFS Chairman, President and CEO. "We are proud of the legacy we are building together for the community and the region."
The state-of-the-art sports complex will span 32 acres between Subaru Park and the Union Power Plant office building. The complex will include a 100,000 sq. ft. indoor facility that will be available for community use and an adjacent 70,000 sq. ft. support building that will house Philadelphia Union II (MLS NEXT Pro) as well as the Philadelphia Union Academy. The indoor facilities will include a 125x75 yard turf field, two courts which are capable of hosting eight cross-width courts, a 20,000 sq. ft. performance center with weight room and sprint track, locker rooms, and a café for athletes and guests. The indoor facility will be complemented by seven outdoor multi-sport fields including one championship grass field with spectator seating, two additional full-size grass fields, one youth-size grass field, and three full-size turf fields.
The build is estimated to create $90 million in economic impact over the first decade and provide 500,000 visits annually to the Chester Waterfront. In addition to the positive economic impact, the sportsplex will donate hundreds of additional hours in court and field time for community use and health and wellness programming, available to be used by Chester youth and local organizations.
"This project shows the continued commitment and partnership that the city shares with the Philadelphia Union," said Mayor Thaddeus Kirkland, City of Chester. "It will create better jobs, more recreational opportunities, and a bridge that connects our community to our beautiful waterfront."
The construction of WSFS Bank Sportsplex will also bring the Philadelphia Union Academy and YSC Academy under one roof, furthering the commitment to youth development. Aspiring youth soccer players will have the opportunity to train and learn alongside Philadelphia Union and Union II professional players. The school (YSC Academy) and the Philadelphia Union Academy will move to the Chester campus beginning in 2023. YSC Academy will be housed in a state-of-the-art school inside the Union Power Plant.
Groundbreaking on the WSFS Sportsplex is set to take place in Winter 2022/2023, with the outdoor fields in place by August 2023 and the indoor facilities to open June 2024. For more information, please visit www.WSFSBankSportsplex.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 4, 2022
- Inter Miami CF Signs Stefan "Don" Borrello as Second eMLS Athlete in Club History for 2023 eMLS Season - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF and Florida Blue Host Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Florida Blue Training Center - Inter Miami CF
- Colorado Rapids Academy Goalkeeper Leonardo Medina Called up to Mexico U-16 Men's Youth National Team Training Camp - Colorado Rapids
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC CEO & Sporting Director Axel Schuster Signed to Four-Year Contract Extension - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Win and We're In: How Inter Miami Can Clinch Playoffs on WednesdayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Christian Lattanzio Approaching Must Win Game with Ambition But Remaining Humble - Charlotte FC
- Roster Rules: Charlotte FC vs. Columbus Crew - Charlotte FC
- Statement from Thorns FC Owner/CEO Merritt Paulson - Portland Timbers
- Maciel Undergoes Successful Surgery to Repair Left Achilles Tendon - New England Revolution
- This Sunday: All Eyes on MLS Decision Day 2022 - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Announce WSFS Bank Sportsplex, a Premier Destination for Sports and Recreation - Philadelphia Union
- Playoff Scenarios for Charlotte FC on October 5th - Charlotte FC
- Another Must Win Match: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF to Host Orlando City SC on Wednesday for a Crucial Matchup - Inter Miami CF
- MLS Cups and More: Drew Moor Relives His Favorite Moments in BurgundyÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Venue Confirmed for New York City Football Club Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs First-Round MatchÃÂ - New York City FC
- Orlando City Heads South to Battle Intrastate Foe Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: October 4, 2022 - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Finish With a Draw Versus Chicago Fire FC, 2-2
- Philadelphia Union and Language Services Associates Announce Multi-Year Renewal with Launch of Club LSA
- Philadelphia Union Loan Joaquín Torres to Club Deportivo Universidad Católica
- Penn Medicine Partners with the Philadelphia Union to Become Official Health Care Provider of the Team
- Carranza Registers First CCC Hat Trick