Americans Come up Short in Hard-Fought Game against Chiefs
The Americans returned to game action tonight for the first time since Tuesday, April 13th. Tri-City didn't show many signs of rust coming off ten days of isolation, but the Chiefs ultimately were able to edge out the Americans 5-3.
Tri-City was ready to play from the start and opened scoring 4:39 into the game. Luke Zazula carried the puck into the offensive zone and passed to Sasha Mutala who scored with a shot from the left circle.
The Americans held on to their 1-0 lead until Eli Zummack scored for the Chiefs with 3:45 remaining in the period.
Just over a minute into the second frame the Americans took back the lead with a goal from Booker Daniel. The goal, Daniel's third of the season, came off a behind the net feed from Tri-City's leading scorer Sam Huo. Mutala also had an assist on the play.
Adam Beckman replied for the Chiefs two minutes later to even the score. The Chiefs gained control for the first time in game as Eli Zummack scored on the power play giving them a 3-2 lead.
The Americans found a tying goal late in the second period as Nick Bowman shoved in a rebound. Bowman's goal, his first of the season, came assisted by Luke Zazula and Booker Daniel.
The game slipped away from the Americans as Adam Beckman scored on the power play to take back the lead for Spokane. Beckman, a Minnesota Wild prospect, added an empty net goal in the final seconds of the game to record a hat trick and seal the 5-3 victory for the Chiefs.
Mason Dunsford played in net tonight for the Americans. It was the 17-year-old netminder's second start this season. He stopped 22 of 26 shots faced.
The Americans led shots on goal tonight 36-27.
Tri-City was 0/1 tonight on the power play and the Chiefs were 2/5 with a man-advantage.
Final: 5-3 SPO
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 29, 2021
- Mark "Peaches" Brennan Announces Retirement - Portland Winterhawks
- Kia CHL Top-10 Spotlight: Wheat Kings Claim East Division Banner - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Tigers vs Hurricanes Preview - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Thursday, April 29 at Red Deer - Calgary Hitmen
- Broncos Season Ends with Overtime Loss to Raiders - Swift Current Broncos
- Silvertips Continue March to Division Title - Everett Silvertips
- Cougars Score Big Win against Kamloops - Prince George Cougars
- Raiders Win Wild Finale of Subway Hub Centre in Overtime - Prince Albert Raiders
- Americans Come up Short in Hard-Fought Game against Chiefs - Tri-City Americans
- WHL Concludes Successful 2020-21 East Division Regular Season in Subway Hub Centre - WHL
- T-Birds Battle But Fall Just Short at Everett - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Beckman's Hat Trick Secures Win for Panghli in First Career Start - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City Americans Stories
- Americans Acquire Chudley from Spokane
- Late Goal Not Enough for Ams to Overcome Chiefs in Final Preseason Game
- Americans Acquire Kedrov from Prince Albert
- Americans Unable to Hold off Chiefs in 3-2 Loss
- Americans Struggle to Find Net in Preseason Loss to Winterhawks