Americans Beat Arizona Again to Win the Series
Prescott Valley, Arizona - Saturday night concluded the Allen Americans three game journey west, with the Americans and Sundogs splitting the first two games both by scores of 5-3. The Allen victory Friday night moved them from 5th spot in the Central Hockey League standings to a tie for 3rd place with Denver, both with 23 points.
The Allen Americans got on the board late in the first period when John Snowden found the back of the net for the 4th time this year, assisted by Alex Lavoie and Jonathan Lessard at 18:44. Arizona doubled the Americans in shots on goal at 13-6 but trailed after the first twenty minutes of play, 1-0.
In the second period, the Americans were able to extend their lead to 2-0 on the power play when Jonathan Lessard notched his 9th goal of the season at 15:25 with assists from Tyler Ludwig and Alex Lavoie. Allen led in shots for the period by a 12-9 count but Arizona held a 22-18 edge after two periods but still trailed the Americans 2-0 on the scoreboard.
The Arizona Sundogs were able to cut the Americans lead in half with an early power play goal by Paul McIlveen, assisted by Jason Morgan and Bryan Cameron at 4:43. Allen answered back immediately with a power play goal of their own from Alex Lavoie, his 11th marker of the season at 6:09 with an assist from Tyler Ludwig to get back their two goal lead at 3-1. The Americans topped the scoring for the night off with an empty net goal by Phil Fox, notching his 6th goal of the season, shorthanded, at 18:03 of the third period. Fox's shorthanded goal was assisted by Spencer Asuchak and Bryan Pitton and gives the Americans six shorthanded goals for on the season, ranking them first in the league.
The Americans now head home for a pair of weekend games against the Rapid City Rush at the Allen Event Center beginning Friday night, with the puck drop scheduled for 7:05PM.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Sundogs Close out Series, Lose 4-1 to Americans - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Takes Lead in Season Series - Denver Cutthroats
- Beast Score Twice Late; Edge Chill in Shootout - St. Charles Chill
- Thunder Climb Back for 3-2 Shootout Win at Missouri - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Beat Arizona Again to Win the Series - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Take 1 Point against Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Blast Tulsa 9-3; Ruskowski Moves into Third Place in CHL - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Clobbered by Mallards in Ugly 9-3 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspensions - CHL
- Andrew Courtney Suspended 2 Games - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Upended by Beast 3-2 on Black Friday - Wichita Thunder
- Arizona Fall to Americans 3-5 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Chill Fights to the End in 4-3 Loss - St. Charles Chill
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.