Mavericks Take 1 Point against Thunder
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks were served their second home loss of the season against the Wichita Thunder in a shootout defeat 3-2 on Saturday night at the Independence Events Center.
Eric Castonguay kicked-off the first period with a Mavericks goal five minutes into play. Notching his eighth goal of the season, Castonguay was assisted by Sebastien Thinel and Rob Kleebaum. Kleebaum put his name on the score-sheet again at the 14 minute mark of the period with a goal of his own, assisted by Eric Castonguay. The Thunder were not ready to give up on the period, and Wichita forward, Jon Booras, took advantage of a man-advantage situation to put his team on the board. But Booras was not finished attacking the Mavericks' net and put another point up to tie the game 2-2 at the end of the first twenty minutes of play.
There was no scoring in the second period, despite the Mavericks being handed two power-play opportunities. Both teams notched only eight shots on goal apiece through the second twenty minutes of the match-up.
The Thunder took a strong hold on the third period, widening the shots on goal gap to over ten in their favor. Eric Castonguay continued to have excellent touches on the puck, but did not manage to connect rubber with net. Joe Howe had a standout performance in goal, stopping twelve shots on goal for several key saves. Another scoreless twenty minutes of play and both teams still tied at 2-2, the match headed to overtime.
When five minutes of four-on-four hockey could not yield a winner, the game decision was sent to the shootout where the Wichita Thunder scored 2 goals to the Mavericks 1 to secure the win.
The Mavericks play their next home game on Friday, December 6th at 7:05pm against the Wichita Thunder in the fifth game of the Independence Cup Series. The Missouri Mavericks are excited to offer fans the new Mavericks Bud Light Good Times Seats. The promotion includes a center ice ticket, and vouchers for two FREE Bud Light drafts or fountain drink sodas. It's a $50 value for only $30! Bud Light Good Times Seats available for purchase at the Box Office day of game only.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Sundogs Close out Series, Lose 4-1 to Americans - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Takes Lead in Season Series - Denver Cutthroats
- Beast Score Twice Late; Edge Chill in Shootout - St. Charles Chill
- Thunder Climb Back for 3-2 Shootout Win at Missouri - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Beat Arizona Again to Win the Series - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Take 1 Point against Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Blast Tulsa 9-3; Ruskowski Moves into Third Place in CHL - Quad City Mallards
- Oilers Clobbered by Mallards in Ugly 9-3 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspensions - CHL
- Andrew Courtney Suspended 2 Games - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Upended by Beast 3-2 on Black Friday - Wichita Thunder
- Arizona Fall to Americans 3-5 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Chill Fights to the End in 4-3 Loss - St. Charles Chill
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Extend NHL Affiliation with Calgary Flames for 2019-20
- Mavericks Announce Full 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Mavericks Acquire Forward Zeb Knutson from Maine to Complete Futures Trade
- Mavericks Announce Protected List
- Mavericks Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Home Schedule