American Association to Become Partner League with Major League Baseball
Beginning in 2006, the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball has operated continuously for the last 15 years as one of the top pro circuits in the country. But on Thursday a new era began for the league and its member clubs, as the American Association announced via press release that it has joined with Major League Baseball to become a Partner League. The Frontier League will also become a Partner League with MLB, along with the announcement from earlier this week that the Atlantic League has been designated as a Partner League.
Via the release:
Major League Baseball (MLB) announced today that it has named both the American Association and the Frontier League as "Partner Leagues" of MLB. The American Association and the Frontier League join the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball (ALPB), which was designated a Partner League earlier this week.
As Partner Leagues, the Frontier League and the American Association will collaborate with MLB on initiatives to provide organized baseball to communities throughout the United States and Canada.
Morgan Sword, MLB's Executive Vice President, Baseball Economics & Operations, said: "We welcome the American Association and Frontier Leagues as Partner Leagues, and look forward to working with them toward our shared goal of expanding the geographic reach of baseball."
"We look forward to our partnership with MLB incorporating the American Association into the MLB family. To grow America's Pastime, it's critical to bring all stakeholders in professional baseball to the table," said American Association Commissioner Joshua Schaub. "We believe this association with Major League Baseball will culminate in a comprehensive agreement that will grow baseball and shine an even brighter light on the American Association. The American Association has already established itself as a premier professional league in North America, this partnership will only enhance the American Association's stature among the professional baseball world."
Frontier League Commissioner Bill Lee says, "The Frontier League is honored to become a Partner League with Major League Baseball. This partnership will be beneficial in growing our great game of Baseball in all of our United States and Canadian markets. Our teams and fans will all be excited to see the League grow in years to come. The Frontier League began in 1993, to have a relationship with Major League Baseball, is one of the greatest moments in League history."
As reigning American Association champions, the Milwaukee Milkmen are excited for this partnership and what it means for the future of the franchise, the league, and the game of baseball as a whole!
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 24, 2020
- American Association to Become Partner League with Major League Baseball - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Major League Baseball, American Association Announce Partnership - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Designated as Partner League of MLB - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- American Association Designated as Partner League of MLB - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Designated as MLB Partner League - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association, Frontier League Designated as Partner Leagues of MLB - AA
- American Association, Frontier League Designated as Partner Leagues of MLB - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Designated as a Partner League of MLB - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.