Amaya, Mitchell Homer in Loss to Keys
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Miguel Amaya and Kevonte Mitchell each blasted their second homers of the year, but it was not enough to outscore the hot-hitting Frederick Keys who took game one of the series 9-3 from TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark on Monday night.
After D.J. Wilson reached on an infield single for the Pelicans (2-10) with one out in the first inning, Miguel Amaya launched a prodigious two-run homer to give the Birds a 2-0 lead.
The advantage was short-lived for Myrtle Beach, as the Keys (4-7) took a 3-2 lead after the first four men reached in the top of the third and three runs scored.
The Keys added another run in the fourth inning as Mason McCoy drove in the fourth run of the game for Frederick (4-7) on an RBI double off of the Bird's starter Luis Lugo (0-1). A fifth-inning homer from Zach Jarrett made it 5-2 Keys and Frederick was just getting started.
The Keys bolstered their lead in the sixth when Yeltsin Gudino singled and scored on an RBI double from Jake Ring, who later scored on an error to make it 7-2.
Myrtle Beach found the scoreboard again in the bottom of the sixth, as Mitchell's second homer of the year brought the Birds back to within four runs at 7-3.
McCoy took the doubt away in the top of the eighth, making it 9-3 with a two-run homer to left, his third hit of the game.
Cody Sedlock (1-0) earned his first win of the year for the Keys after pitching five innings and allowing two runs on six hits while striking out three and walking two.
Myrtle Beach will look to even the series against Frederick in game two on Tuesday night at 7:05. The Pelicans have yet to name their starter for the middle game of the set while Brenan Hanifee (0-1, 8.00) will be on the mound for the Keys.
Tuesday will be a $2 Taco and Tallboys Tuesday, presented by Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant, Better Brands and NASH 106.5.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 15, 2019
- Amaya, Mitchell Homer in Loss to Keys - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Keys Power Their Way to Victory - Frederick Keys
- Rocks Let Four-Run Lead Slip Away - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Lynchburg Loses Early Lead, Drops Third Straight - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Canning Homers in Debut as P-Nats Batter Hillcats - Potomac Nationals
- Bahrâ??s Strong Start Leads Woodies Past Red Sox - Down East Wood Ducks
- April 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- April 15 Transactions & Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (April 15 vs. Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: April 15 vs. Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Thunderbirds Players to be in Attendance at Monday's Dash Game - Winston-Salem Dash
- Robert Earns CL Player of the Week Honors - Winston-Salem Dash
- Morgan Earns Carolina League Pitcher of the Week Honor - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.