Alexander Deals in Loss to Tides
NORFOLK, Va. - The Toledo Mud Hens fall 1-0 on Father's Day in a pitcher's duel against the Norfolk Tides at Harbor Park.
The Norfolk Tides (28-39) avoided a sweep from the Mud Hens (28-39) scoring a run late in the game to claim the 1-0 victory.
Baserunners were hard to come by as Norfolk claimed the games only extra base hit through the first six innings. The Tides found runners at second and third with two-outs in the first inning but were unable to score.
LHP Tyler Alexander took the hill for the Mud Hens and delivered six and two-thirds innings of shutout work. The southpaw allowed four hits while walking two and k-ing three before handing the ball to RHP Eduardo Jimenez who needed one pitch to bring the seventh inning to an end.
In the eighth inning, Joey Rickard reached first on an error by Daz Cameron. Rickard moved to third with one out as Jace Peterson singled to left field as the Tides got a runner to third for the second time in the game for either team. Peterson stole second base before Jimenez fanned Austin Hays for the second out of the inning. Mason Williams then beat out an infield single to plate the first run of the game as Norfolk took the slight advantage.
Robson attempted to start a two-out rally in the ninth inning poking a hit through the infield. Jeimer Candelario then flipped a ball into shallow right field moving Robson to third base. Mikie Mahtook flew out to center field to end the game as the Mud Hens fell 1-0.
The Toledo Mud Hens have Monday off before returning to Fifth Third Field on Tuesday as a three-game set with the Leigh Valley Iron Pigs begins. First pitch on Tuesday is set for 7:05 p.m.
- Ticket + Cap Package
- All-You-Can-Eat Club Seats
For more information go to www.milb.com/toledo/tickets/promotions
#RoadToDetroit Report (ranking according to MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch):
5. OF Daz Cameron: 0 for 4
6. RHP Beau Burrows: DNP (IL)
7. IF Willi Castro: DNP
10. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP
12. C Jake Rogers: DNP
16. OF Jacob Robson: 1 for 4
18. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP
19. OF Danny Woodrow: DNP
22. RHP John Schreiber: DNP
26. RHP Sandy Baez: DNP (IL)
27. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
28. IF/OF Dustin Peterson: 0 for 3
- Between the two teams, there were a total of 10 hits and the one run.
- The two teams tallied a total of 12 strikeouts in the contest.
- After scoring 11 runs in yesterday's game in an 11-4 victory where Toledo mustered 13 hits, the club plated no runs on four hits.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 16, 2019
- RailRiders Salvage Series Finale - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bulls Winning Streak Ends at Eight Games - Durham Bulls
- Syracuse Comeback Trips Gwinnett, 7-6 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Mets Rally in Eighth to Beat Stripers, 7-6, on Father's Day - Syracuse Mets
- Offense Rolls Along in 12-2 Win over Louisville - Buffalo Bisons
- Hot Wings Sweep Knights - Rochester Red Wings
- Bats Drop Rain Shortened Game to Bisons, 12-2 - Louisville Bats
- PawSox Split Doubleheader with Indians - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Defeated by Rochester in Twin Bill - Charlotte Knights
- Pigs Fall Two Games Below .500 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Alexander Deals in Loss to Tides - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bradley, Barnes power Clippers to sweep against Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Davis Returns to Indy for MLB Rehab Start - Indianapolis Indians
- Doubleheader Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-30) vs. Pawtucket Red Sox (29-37) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Louisville (2:00 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Buffalo Bisons (31-35) at Louisville Bats (27-41) - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings, Golisano Children's Hospital Partner for All-Stars Initiative - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.