AirHogs Tighten up Offense to Beat Wingnuts
Grand Prairie- Closing out a three-game series the Grand Prairie AirHogs (36-30) pulled together on offense to take the game over the Wichita Wingnuts 7-3 Sunday night at QuikTrip Park. The AirHogs jumped to an early lead scoring two runs in the second inning. After two scoreless innings for the AirHogs and two innings of runs for the Wingnuts, the Wingnuts led 3-2. Bottom of the fifth was the time to strike for the AirHogs. Brandon Pinckney took a walk and made it over to third on a Brian Myrow double. This brought up Andres Rodriguez who took Justin Klipp deep for his 11th home run of the year. The three-run shot gave the AirHogs a 5-3 lead and they never looked back. They picked up two more runs for a final score of 7-3. Austin Newell went 2-for-4 in the game scoring twice and driving in two. Rian Kiniry also went 2-for-4 and drove in one.
Derek Blacksher (7-5) was the winner in Sunday's game going six innings allowing three runs on seven hits. The righty also struck out four Wingnuts. Derrick Miramontes threw a perfect 0.2 of an inning and Boomer Potts allowed one hit but no runs in 1.1 innings. Patrick Mincey closed out the game with a perfect inning striking out two Wingnuts.
Ending the home stand with a record of 5-1, the AirHogs travel to Amarillo to try to add a little distance between themselves and the Amarillo Sox who are tied for second in the South Division. The first of a four-game series will begin Monday night at Sox Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 P.M.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 28, 2013
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Tighten up Offense to Beat Wingnuts - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- AirHogs Win Rubber Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Champion, Canaries Take Series in Lincoln - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Champion Outguns Melendez as Birds Take Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Einertson Comes up Big as RedHawks overcome Explorers in 10-9 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Benefit from Aigles Errors - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Fargo-Moorhead Rallies For 10-9 Win Over Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Inch Closer in Wild Card by Besting RailCats 8-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Bats Go Quiet for T-Bones in Series Finale - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 28th, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Lentini Becomes Independent Baseball's All-Time Base Stealer - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Activate Coombs, Brockett - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Smith's 12th-Inning Tater Completes Saltdogs Triple Comeback - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs