AirHogs Shown Brooms by T-Bones
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - The Kansas City T-Bones greeted Grand Prairie AirHogs starting pitcher Reymond Cruz with a doubele home run and single to start the first inning, and a bases-loaded walk later that inning made it 3-0, as the T-Bones coasted from there to beat the AirHogs 9-1 at Community America Ballpark on Sunday to complete a three-game sweep.
After Brian Grening (7-3) got around a two-out walk in the first, Justin Bass hit a slicing double down the leftfield line to begin the bottom half. Brandon Jones then jumped on the first pitch he saw for a two-run home run to right - the first longball of the series for either team.
Lee Cruz singled before Reymond Cruz (4-5) got the next two hitters on strikeouts. But the AirHogs righty then lost his command, walking Enrique Cruz, Hunter Mense and Devin Goodwin to force in another run and give Kansas City (38-31) a three-run lead.
Cruz got the T-Bones in order in the second and Keanon Simon hit a solo shot in the top of the third to put the AirHogs (40-28) on the board, but a two-run single by Hunter Mense made it 5-1 in the bottom of the third.
It remained 5-1 until the sixth, when Cruz walked Goodwin to start the inning, and Adam De La Garza homered to right to knock Cruz out of the game.
Goodwin hit the third T-Bones two-run home run of the game to right off Jakob Cunningham in the seventh to finsh the scoring.
Grening pitched seven innings to beat Grand Prairie for the second time this year, allowing four hits and one run, walking three and striking out seven.
Dustin Loggins pitched around a double and a walk in the eighth and two singles in the ninth with the help of two double plays to finish off the AirHogs.
Notes: Kansas City had three innings where they sent at least eight men to the plate.After winning the season series from the T-Bones 9-2 in 2011, Kansas City turned the table on the AirHogs in 2012 to the tune of 8-2.Four T-Bones had two hits and two had three, and all nine starters reached base safely at least once.Scott Clement was the only AirHogs hitter to pick up two hits.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs continue their road trip with a three-game series in El Paso, starting on Tuesday, July 31, at 8:05 p.m. Central Time. The next home game at QuikTrip Park is Friday, August 3, at 7:05 p.m. against the Laredo Lemurs. That night will feature a team card set giveaway, sponsored by Parkland Community Health Plan. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 29, 2012
- Lemurs Have Tough Time against Blacksher - Laredo Lemurs
- Wingnuts Storm Past Laredo in Rubber Game - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Hot Bats Propel T-Bones to 9-1 Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Dogs Post Double-Digit Ball in Seventh to Rout X's - Lincoln Saltdogs
- AirHogs Shown Brooms by T-Bones - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- RedHawks Sweep RailCats in 14-3 Blowout - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Winnipeg Powers Past Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Privett and Mazzola Lead Goldeyes to Series Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Hernandez Says "Au Revoir" with Walk off Homer in 10th in 6-4 Saints Win - St. Paul Saints
- Hawkins Placed on Waivers - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs