Admirals Sign Rod Pelley to PTO; Assign Gabe Guentzel to ECHL Fort Wayne
NORFOLK - The Norfolk Admirals have signed forward Rod Pelley to a Professional Tryout Contract and have loaned defenseman Gabe Guentzel to the ECHL's Fort Wayne Komets, Admirals Assistant General Manager Bob Ferguson announced today.
Pelley, 5-foot-11, 200-pounds, is a veteran of 407 career professional games. In 256 career NHL games between the Anaheim Ducks and New Jersey Devils, Pelley has scored nine goals and 29 points with 102 penalty minutes. Last season, Pelley was acquired by Anaheim along with Mark Fraser and a seventh-round draft pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft from New Jersey in exchange for Kurtis Foster and Timo Pielmeier. In 52 games between the Ducks and Devils in 2011-12, he posted two goals and three points with 16 penalty minutes.
A 28-year-old native of Kitimat, British Columbia, Pelley established a career high by appearing in 74 games in 2010-11 with New Jersey, including his 200th career NHL contest on Mar. 30, 2011 vs. the New York Islanders. He scored three goals and 10 points in 2010-11, matching a career high in points and establishing a season best in goals.
Pelley last played in the American Hockey League in 2008-09 with the Lowell Devils. In 151 career AHL games over three seasons with Lowell, Pelley accumulated 34 goals and 70 points with 131 penalty minutes.
New Jersey signed Pelley as a free agent on July 17, 2006. He played collegiate hockey at Ohio State University from 2002-06, posting 47 goals and 88 points with 160 penalty minutes in 165 career games.
Guentzel, 6-foot-0, 185-pounds, has appeared in six games with the Admirals this season, recording one assist and six penalty minutes. Norfolk signed Guentzel to an AHL Standard Player's Contract on September 21, 2012. Last season, Guentzel appeared in 12 regular season games with the Syracuse Crunch before recording an assist in four Calder Cup Playoff games with Syracuse. He joined the Crunch after completing his collegiate career at Colorado College, where he scored 16 goals and 94 points in 156 career games. Guentzel made his ECHL debut last night with the Komets, posting one goal and one assist in a 4-3 win over the Kalamazoo Wings.
Next up for Norfolk is a road contest tonight at 7:00 p.m. against the Adirondack Phantoms. Tune in at 7:00 p.m. to 102.1-FM, 1490-AM, 1021TheGame.com or AHLLive.com.
The Admirals return to Scope next Wednesday in the first meeting of the season with the Hershey Bears. The puck drops at 7:15 p.m. in the second Admirals Value Night of the season, with Family Fun Packs and Student Rush Night tickets available.
Family Fun Packs include four discounted Red Level Tickets plus four free hot dogs, four free popcorns and four free sodas. Fans get all of that for just $54 - that's a savings of $37!
Student Rush Nights provide $9 White Level Tickets (normally $17 on game nights) for students with a valid current high school or college ID. In addition, when you buy a Student Rush Night Ticket, you get a buy-one, get-one free offer for the next Student Rush Night.
Family Fun Packs are available at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 or online at Ticketmaster.com. Student Rush Night Tickets are available ONLY at the Scope Box Office after 2:00 p.m. on the day of the game.
Don't miss a minute of Admirals action by purchasing your season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2012
- Heat Beat Stars 1-0 in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Fall to Houston, 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Back to Back: Phantoms Prevail 2-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Outscored by Whale 7-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cole's Late Tally Leads to Shootout Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Abbotsford Slips by Texas 1-0 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Tatar's Two Push Griffins Past Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Can't Snap Winless Streak - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Senators 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Saad's Third Period Tally Lifts Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall in Shoot-Out to Peoria - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs' Friday Gets Darker - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeat Sound Tigers - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Battle Through Wild Second Period, Surrender in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- Black Friday No Bargain for Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Extend Win Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Win over Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Hamilton Finds a Good Deal in Manchester on Black Friday - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Lose at Rochester - Albany Devils
- Fontaine Leads Houston Aeros to 2-1 Win in San Antonio - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback in Glens Falls - Norfolk Admirals
- TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690, Sirius XM All to Broadcast Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flynn, Brennan Power Amerks to 5-2 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Fans Invited to Grey Cup Viewing Party at Copps Coliseum Following Bulldogs Game Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Recall Courtnall - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Take on Texas Twice Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sportsnet Adds More American Hockey League Action - AHL
- Falcons Players to Transform into Celebrity Servers Tuesday - Springfield Falcons
- SiriusXM NHL Network Radio Adds More American Hockey League Games to Schedule - AHL
- Amerks Ticket Discount Available on Specially Marked Pepsi Cans - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Portland, Game #15 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Sign Rod Pelley to PTO; Assign Gabe Guentzel to ECHL Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- Darcy Kuemper Reassigned to Orlando, Aeros Sign Goalie John Curry - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Sign Defenseman Cullity - Springfield Falcons
- Park and Ride Continues for this Weekend's Games - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Four-Goal Second Dooms Admirals on Wednesday Night against Florida
- Game Day: Admirals Head South to Face Division Leading Florida
- Final Stretch Begins with Three-Game Stretch in Florida
- Seven-Game Home Win Streak Snapped by IceMen on Sunday Afternoon
- Game Day: Admirals Wrap up Weekend Hosting IceMen