Black Friday No Bargain for Wolves
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.---It was a back-and-forth affair at Van Andel Arena Friday night, but the Chicago Wolves couldn't get the final score in a 4-3 loss to the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Mark Matheson, Chris Tanev and Anton Rodin lit the lamp for the Wolves (8-6-2-0), who were tied with the Griffins for first place in the American Hockey League's Midwest Division when the night began.
The Wolves have allowed the first goal in their last four road games, winning only one of those contests. The home team struck first again, with Grand Rapids left wing Tomas Tatar getting his sixth of the year at 7:56 in the first period.
Wolves center Alex Friesen tried to score the equalizer on a penalty shot before the six-minute mark of the second frame, but Grand Rapids netminder Petr Mrazek (6-0-0) stood tall to turn him away. Matheson got Chicago on the board at 8:25 in the period as he went five-hole on Mrazek for his third of the season and second goal in two games.
Grand Rapids (9-4-1-1), which ran its winning streak to seven games, responded in rapid succession as right wing Mitch Callahan potted his first of the season 13 seconds later.
The Griffins held a 2-1 lead until Tanev fired a shot that ricocheted off the goal post and into the mesh at the 17:37 mark of the second. With those two markers, the Wolves moved to plus-6 in their second-period goal differential for the season.
Grand Rapids regained a 3-2 lead on defenseman Chad Billins' power-play goal 36 seconds into the third period. Hot on his heels was Rodin's rebound goal at 5:53 of the third.
Tatar bookended the game and picked up the game-winning goal past Wolves goaltender Eddie Lack at 17:47. Lack (6-4-0) stopped 25 of 29 shots. Mrazek also posted 25 saves.
Chicago hosts the Milwaukee Admirals in an Amtrak Rivalry game at Allstate Arena Saturday night. For tickets, call1-800-THE-WOLVES or visit ChicagoWolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2012
- Heat Beat Stars 1-0 in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Fall to Houston, 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Back to Back: Phantoms Prevail 2-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Outscored by Whale 7-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cole's Late Tally Leads to Shootout Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Abbotsford Slips by Texas 1-0 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Tatar's Two Push Griffins Past Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Can't Snap Winless Streak - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Senators 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Saad's Third Period Tally Lifts Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall in Shoot-Out to Peoria - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs' Friday Gets Darker - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeat Sound Tigers - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Battle Through Wild Second Period, Surrender in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- Black Friday No Bargain for Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Extend Win Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Win over Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Hamilton Finds a Good Deal in Manchester on Black Friday - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Lose at Rochester - Albany Devils
- Fontaine Leads Houston Aeros to 2-1 Win in San Antonio - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback in Glens Falls - Norfolk Admirals
- TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690, Sirius XM All to Broadcast Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flynn, Brennan Power Amerks to 5-2 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Fans Invited to Grey Cup Viewing Party at Copps Coliseum Following Bulldogs Game Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Recall Courtnall - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Take on Texas Twice Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sportsnet Adds More American Hockey League Action - AHL
- Falcons Players to Transform into Celebrity Servers Tuesday - Springfield Falcons
- SiriusXM NHL Network Radio Adds More American Hockey League Games to Schedule - AHL
- Amerks Ticket Discount Available on Specially Marked Pepsi Cans - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Portland, Game #15 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Sign Rod Pelley to PTO; Assign Gabe Guentzel to ECHL Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- Darcy Kuemper Reassigned to Orlando, Aeros Sign Goalie John Curry - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Sign Defenseman Cullity - Springfield Falcons
- Park and Ride Continues for this Weekend's Games - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Wolves Reveal Guaranteed Dates and Opponents for 25th Season
- Wagner and Weis Sign with Wolves for 2018-19 Campaign
- Wolves Eliminated from Calder Cup Playoffs in Triple OT
- Wolves on Brink of Elimination with Game 2 Loss
- IceHogs Edge Wolves in Central Division Semis Game 1