Aces fly past Whitewings
Harlingen WhiteWings (9-17) 000 002 000 2 9 0 Alexandria Aces (13-12) 000 120 000 3 7 2
Winning Pitcher: Portillo (1-2) Attendance: 636 Losing Pitcher: Darling (0-3) Time: 2:28 Save: Foster (1)
Home Runs: HAR - None ALX - None
Alexandria, La. - June 9, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces relief pitching had been shaky for much of the season coming into Monday night's game. But the Aces got exactly what they needed for the pen to hold off the Harlingen WhiteWings 3-2 at Bringhurst Field. Aces starter Ramon Portillo left the game with the Aces ahead 3-2 after going six innings and giving up just one earned run. The Aces then called on Juan Carlos Ovalles to pitch the seventh and ninth. Ovalles had been the closer all year for the Aces, but he did pitch in the set-up role last year. He thrived tonight as he struck out six in his two innings of work. Ovalles handed the ball over to Charlie Foster who worked a scoreless ninth, while striking out two himself. The Aces scored first in the fourth inning on when Patrick O'Sullivan grounded out to score Tyler Farrar, who signed with the Aces just before game time and was making his professional debut. The Aces went up 3-0 in the fifth on an RBI double by Eddie Fitzpatrick and a single by O'Sullivan. With two RBI, O'Sullivan raised his league lead to 40. The Aces and WhiteWings will finish their three-game series on Tuesday with Wayne Hedden for the Aces going against Harlingen's Jorge Lugo. Game time is scheduled for 5:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from June 9, 2008
- Coyotes cruise over Dillas - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Colts keep Broncos bats silent - San Angelo Colts
- Broncos bats silenced in loss - Laredo Broncos
- Aces fly past Whitewings - Alexandria Aces
- Darling Posts Quality Start in Loss - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Broncos give back - Laredo Broncos
- Colts Make Roster Moves before Beginning Nine-game Homestand - San Angelo Colts
- Aces Announce City of Alexandria Night - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th