Aces Fall to Rainiers, 9-3
RENO, Nev.- Tacoma scored six runs in the fifth inning and posted a lead that Reno could not overcome Sunday night, as the Rainiers topped the Aces 9-3, forcing a series split in front of 6,481 fans at Aces Ballpark.
While the Rainiers scored early, the Aces answered with a two-run fourth inning to take a lead. Tacoma did not let that Reno advantage stand, though, as it produced a six-run fifth, putting the Aces behind 7-2 and taking the lead for good.
Reno's John Hester belted a home run in the bottom of the eighth that cut the Tacoma lead to four, but the Aces would get no closer.
Aces starter Wes Roemer (1-5) took the loss for Reno, allowing 11 hits and seven runs in 4.1 innings of work. Jose Marte worked two scoreless frames out of the Aces bullpen.
Rainiers starter Michael Pineda (3-0) earned the win, holding the Aces to two runs and five hits over 6.2 frames.
Hester hit his fourth home run of the season, finishing 3-for-4 with an RBI. Doug Deeds added two hits for Reno, including his league-leading 31st double of the season.
The Aces head to Portland Monday for a four-game series before returning home for an eight-game homestand. Reno will send RHP Josh Collmenter (1-1, 4.70 ERA) to the mound against Portland RHP Cesar Carillo (4-8, 4.59 ERA). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. PT from PGE Park, and all the action can be heard live on Fox Sports Radio 1450 AM or at www.RenoAces.com.
Tickets for all Aces games start at just $7, and are available by calling the Reno Aces box office at (775) 334-7000 or by visiting RenoAces.com. The brand-new Freight House District, located just outside Aces Ballpark, is open seven days a week, on both game days and non-game days.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 18, 2010
- Aces Fall to Rainiers, 9-3 - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Drops Finale at Albuquerque 8-3 - Round Rock Express
- Z's Down Birds 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Defeat Royals in Series Finale, 8-2 - Nashville Sounds
- Nelson Home Runs Power Sky Sox Over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Astros Purchase Contract of Majewski; Designate Daigle - Round Rock Express
- Astros to Recall Wright from Triple A - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers topped by Metcalf - Portland Beavers
- Aces Take Second Straight From Rainiers, 6-3 - Reno Aces
- Express Shutout 3-0 To Isotopes - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.