Nelson Home Runs Power Sky Sox Over Beavers
PORTLAND, Ore. - Chris Nelson hit two home runs and drove in five runs as the Colorado Springs Sky Sox used a six-run first inning and four home runs to vault past the Portland Beavers 10-5 at PGE Park Sunday afternoon.
Nelson hit a three-run shot in the first and a two-run blast in the ninth for his first multi-homer game of the season. Kaz Matsui hit a home run and an RBI single in the first inning and Cole Garner hit his second home run of the series for the Sky Sox (44-50), who have salvaged a split of the four-game series with a 9-1 win Saturday and Sunday's victory after dropping the first two games Thursday and Friday.
Nick Bierbrodt (1-0) pitched a scoreless fifth inning to earn the win after Colorado Springs starter Esmil Rogers lasted only four innings. Rogers could not take advantage of the six-run, first-inning cushion, allowing four runs on three hits and three walks with four strikeouts. He was 2-for-2 at the plate.
Craig Cooper hit a bases-clearing double in the third inning to bring the Beavers (36-58) within two at 6-4 before the Sky Sox pulled away late. Kyle Phillips scored two runs and Sean Kazmar had two hits to extend his season-long hitting streak to 11 games.
Beavers starter Steve Garrison (1-3) could not get out of the first inning, allowing six runs on seven hits and a walk while recording just two outs. Radhames Liz came on for Garrison with two outs in the first and retired 16 of the next 18 batters before surrendering Garner's solo home run in the seventh. Liz struck out six and gave up two runs - one earned - on two hits and one walk.
The Sky Sox sent 11 batters to the plate while jumping out to a 6-0 advantage in the top of the first. Matsui homered to lead off the game and Nelson hit a three-run homer before Matsui capped the inning with an RBI single.
The Beavers scored their first run on a ground-rule double by Anthony Contreras in the second and three more times in the third inning on Cooper's two-out, bases-loaded double to center.
After Garner homered leading off the seventh, Jay Payton walked and came around to score on a throwing error by Craig Stansberry.
Stansberry singled and scored on two wild pitches by Franklin Morales in the bottom of the seventh.
The Beavers continue the homestand Monday night, when they face the Reno Aces in the opener of a four-game series at PGE Park at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Liz's effort was Portland's longest stint by a reliever this season ... Garner finished the series 8-for-14 with three doubles, one triple, two home runs, five RBIs and eight runs scored ... Portland reliever Luis Perdomo's streak of 17 appearances and 25 1/3 innings without an earned run ended when he allowed Nelson's ninth-inning homer.
Beavers Game File SUNDAY'S GAME: Colorado Springs 10, Beavers 5 WINNING PITCHER: Bierbrodt (1-0) LOSING PITCHER: Garrison (1-3) SAVE: None HOME RUNS: Matsui (1), Nelson 2 (9), Garner (7) MONDAY'S GAME: Reno (Josh Collmenter: 1-1, 4.70) at Portland (Cesar Carrillo: 4-8, 4.59), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 18, 2010
- Aces Fall to Rainiers, 9-3 - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Drops Finale at Albuquerque 8-3 - Round Rock Express
- Z's Down Birds 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Defeat Royals in Series Finale, 8-2 - Nashville Sounds
- Nelson Home Runs Power Sky Sox Over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Astros Purchase Contract of Majewski; Designate Daigle - Round Rock Express
- Astros to Recall Wright from Triple A - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers topped by Metcalf - Portland Beavers
- Aces Take Second Straight From Rainiers, 6-3 - Reno Aces
- Express Shutout 3-0 To Isotopes - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss