Beavers topped by Metcalf
PORTLAND, Ore. - Travis Metcalf was 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBIs and Cole Garner reached base five times and scored three runs as the Colorado Springs Sky Sox knocked off the Portland Beavers 9-1 at PGE Park Saturday night.
Garner, who had four extra-base hits in the first two games of the series, hit a single and a triple and drew three walks on the night. Matt Miller had two hits and two RBIs while Chris Frey was 2-for-4 with a two-run triple for the Sky Sox (43-50), who took an 8-7 lead in the season series against the Beavers (36-57). The teams meet for the final time in 2010 on Sunday.
It was more than enough run support for Josh Muecke (3-4), who scattered seven hits over five innings and allowed one run. He struck out five.
For Portland, Sean Kazmar was 2-for-4 with an RBI single to extend his season-long hitting streak to 10 games. Craig Stansberry had his 86th double as a Beaver to creep within three of the modern franchise record (since 2001).
The loss went to Cesar Ramos (2-3), who gave up two runs on three hits and two walks in four innings.
The Sky Sox manufactured the first run of the game in the top of the first with a walk and stolen base by Garner and Miller's RBI single.
Metcalf blasted a home run over the left field scoreboard in the second to make it 2-0.
Portland scored in the third after Ramos snuck a double inside the third-base bag. He moved to third on a single by Cedric Hunter and scored on Kazmar's single.
Colorado Springs improved on their lead with three runs in the sixth against a wild Mike DeMark. Garner and Miller started the frame with walks and Nelson drove in one run with a single to center. DeMark struck out Metcalf before walking Michael McKenry and Frey delivered the knockout blow with a two-run triple over left fielder Josh Barfield's head.
The Sky Sox put up four more runs - three unearned - in the ninth, keyed by Miller's RBI single and Metcalf's two-run double.
A trio of Sky Sox relievers, Edgmer Escalona, Taylor Buchholz and Matt Reynolds, held the Beavers hitless over the last four innings to preserve the win.
The Beavers and Sky Sox finish the four-game series Sunday afternoon at 2:05 p.m. (Pacific) on Kids Sunday at PGE Park.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 18, 2010
- Aces Fall to Rainiers, 9-3 - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Drops Finale at Albuquerque 8-3 - Round Rock Express
- Z's Down Birds 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Defeat Royals in Series Finale, 8-2 - Nashville Sounds
- Nelson Home Runs Power Sky Sox Over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Astros Purchase Contract of Majewski; Designate Daigle - Round Rock Express
- Astros to Recall Wright from Triple A - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers topped by Metcalf - Portland Beavers
- Aces Take Second Straight From Rainiers, 6-3 - Reno Aces
- Express Shutout 3-0 To Isotopes - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss