Round Rock Express Drops Finale at Albuquerque 8-3
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Russ Mitchell's tie-breaking leadoff homer in the bottom of the sixth proved to be the game-winner as the Albuquerque Isotopes defeated the Round Rock Express 8-3 in Sunday night's series finale at Isotopes Park. The Express (39-56) lost each of the final three games of the series after winning the opener and have dropped nine of their last 10 games away from The Dell Diamond. The Isotopes (48-45) lead the season series 7-5.
Mitchell's homer came immediately after the Express tied the game 3-3 in the top of the sixth on a Collin DeLome solo homer and a Matt Kata RBI groundout. The Isotopes added another run in the bottom of the sixth on Justin Sellers one-out RBI single. Albuquerque iced the victory with a three-run eighth on an RBI infield single, and Express error and an RBI groundout.
Albuquerque starter John Ely (3-1) earned the win, allowing three runs on five hits and a walk with four strikeouts over 7.0 innings. Jack Taschner retired the first two batters in the eighth before Cory Wade sat down the game's final four batters for his second save.
Express starter Shane Loux (2-8) took the loss, his seventh in as many starts. Loux surrendered five runs on nine hits and a walk with three strikeouts over 6.0 innings. Reliever Brad Thompson yielded three runs - one earned - on three hits over 2.0 innings.
Tommy Everidge gave the Express a 1-0 lead with a two-out RBI single in the top of the first. That lead was short-lived, though, as Trent Oeltjen led off the bottom of the inning with a home run to center. Ivan De Jesus Jr. snapped that tie in the bottom of the fifth with a two-out, two-run single.
Oeltjen finished 3-for-4 with a walk, two runs and two RBI, and DeJesus Jr. was 2-for-5. Elian Herrera and Justin Sellers both were 2-for-4 as the Isotopes out-hit the Express 12-5.
Everidge had the lone multiple-hit game for the Express, his 10th in 21 games with Round Rock; he was 2-for-4.
Round Rock returns to The Dell Diamond for an eight-game home stand, starting a four-game series against the New Orleans Zephyrs with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch Monday. Right-hander Josh Banks (8-6, 2.98 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Express, while right-hander Brian Lawrence 8-6, 3.87 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Zephyrs.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 18, 2010
- Aces Fall to Rainiers, 9-3 - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Drops Finale at Albuquerque 8-3 - Round Rock Express
- Z's Down Birds 5-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Defeat Royals in Series Finale, 8-2 - Nashville Sounds
- Nelson Home Runs Power Sky Sox Over Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Astros Purchase Contract of Majewski; Designate Daigle - Round Rock Express
- Astros to Recall Wright from Triple A - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Beavers topped by Metcalf - Portland Beavers
- Aces Take Second Straight From Rainiers, 6-3 - Reno Aces
- Express Shutout 3-0 To Isotopes - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Dell Diamond to Host Donation Drive Benefiting the Salvation Army
- Cat Osterman to Coach Round Rock Express Softball Camp
- Express Camps Start June 1 at Dell Diamond
- Round Rock Express Hosting Blood Donation Drive on May 14
- Round Rock Express to Honor Class of 2020 on Dell Diamond Marquee